• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marraige coming but child custody issue ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MrByrd

What is the name of your state?Hello all! My situation is about damaging pending child custody and financial settlements. I Live in South Carolina and I am mid 40’s and a male. I have a girlfriend that lives about 200 miles away. She recently got a divorce after about 6 years of separation. Her Ex (WHOM is really one bad evil individual) decided after all that time to conveniently become the parent whom had full custody of the child the whole time (in other words LIE!). The court then appointed a thing called a “Guardian Im Litem” excuse the spelling there. She also has several thousand dollars in dept that her ex is more than half the debtor.

NOW while the courts are deliberating all this and figuring, this is draining her financially. I feel powerless seeing as I am not financially wealthy enough to fork money in on this fight. She has changed lawyers and filed papers for temporary relief (THAT pretty much says who really has custody to me) and now must use a sitting service in her city. She does not know anyone in her area. After school and sitting fees will cost her roughly $200 a week and on the weekends she has to ride 100 miles to her nearest relatives to let the child stay there while she works. She has this schedule to accommodate the care of her child.

The father is simply awful. Anyway; I know what I am about to ask is probably not the best thing to even think of, but I am more or less thinking of her and the child and all this money and aggravation. I want to go to her and (My employment can transfer) and be there in the resident so I can watch the child (My shift will allow this) and prevent a $800 a month child care bill and a 400 mile weekend trip. I love her and her child very much, but this is the best way I can see to help her from being crushed beneath her financially sound Ex with all his lies and lawyer glitz!!

Mr. Byrd

:confused:

M

MrByrd

Sorry...

My question is can i do this and not make her case go belly up, or affect the outcome of her custody. OCCUPYING the same resident while all this stuff is figured out?

Thanx

Mr.Byrd

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's generally not a terrific idea to cohabit while going through a divorce. Perhaps a BETTER plan would be for you to take your own place while still helping her. But I have to ask - what is it you do for a living that would allow you to up and move 200 miles away AND be able to be a caregiver for a child?

M

MrByrd

I am a proffessional classical vocalist. My engagements are about 2 a month and out of state normally. I do have other income but would sacrifice it for the moment to help. I am sorry for any confusion.... SHE IS ALREADY DIVORCED .... this is the part where they are still deliberating over property and custody. If I could get my own place then this would be a done deal,but that really is not an option for me if I relocate from where I am.

M. Byrd

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">