• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married fathers rights to unborn child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tsullivan67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My son is in the Navy and stationed in Florida. His wife is 33 weeks pregnant and wants to go to Chicago, against his will, to have the baby. What are his rights?

LdiJ

My son is in the Navy and stationed in Florida. His wife is 33 weeks pregnant and wants to go to Chicago, against his will, to have the baby. What are his rights?
If you mean does he have any rights to stop her from doing so, unfortunately, no, he does not...nor do the courts.

Are they seperated? As far as his rights...

He has the right to petition the courts for the establishment of a custody and long distance visitation plan once the baby is born. Since the baby is not born, he has no right to control where Mom goes to have the baby or where she lives. Jurisdiction will be where the baby is born. He cannot control her movements.

If they are getting ?divorced? and they will no longer be together Dad will get visitation, likely in Mom's home town for some time, and eventually in his home town. Since infants need continuous contact with BOTH parents...there really aren't good long distance visitation plans for infants as they would all involve lengthy seperations from both parents. If possible, the parents should try to remain close by. I know...I had the opportunity to move when I was 8 months pregnant and didn't because I wanted the baby to be close to Dad and didn't want the baby to have long seperations from both parents. Since he won't see the baby regularly, he will eventually get longer periods of time, school breaks, etc but not until the child is older.

Proserpina

OP, does Mom actually intend to relocate to Chicago permanently?

Or to go there (if she has family there, perhaps) to have the baby and return?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">