• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying sex offender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Heather111

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I am planning on marrying a man who is a registered sex offender. According to the evaluation done on him, he is considered a low risk to re-offend. He was sentenced to 10 years probation. I have primary custody of my three-year-old daughter with another man, to whom I was never married. My fiance was convicted of felony solicitation of a minor in Texas. It was an internet sting operation. He was actually arrested and charged before I met him. The age of the "victim" was 12. What, if anything, can my daughter's father do, in the form of legal retaliation, after I marry my fiance. Also, will my fiance and I be able to have children while he is still on probation?

Heather

Get $250, talk to an attorney for an hour, explain it all, then ask yourself. "Do I really want to give up my daughter for this clown?". Choices dear, life is about choices.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Are you freakin' serious? You can plan on losing cutody of your daughter and having nothing more than supervised visitation. Is he that good?

Last edited:
D

DeadTripper

Crazy

Are you for real? You would risk something happening to your daughter? Because this sick freak is low-risk you think it's alright to put an innocent child in that situation? You should not have a child. If the childs father has any sense he will file for full custody and do everything in his power to keep you away from her. Whether this freak committed his crime before you knew him or not has nothing to do with it. The victim was 12 years old! :eek: If you actually love your daughter you will either give her father custody or leave your sick fiance. I can't believe some people can be this clueless and selfish :mad:

Heather111 said:

I am planning on marrying a man who is a registered sex offender. According to the evaluation done on him, he is considered a low risk to re-offend. He was sentenced to 10 years probation. I have primary custody of my three-year-old daughter with another man, to whom I was never married. My fiance was convicted of felony solicitation of a minor in Texas. It was an internet sting operation. He was actually arrested and charged before I met him. The age of the "victim" was 12. What, if anything, can my daughter's father do, in the form of legal retaliation, after I marry my fiance. Also, will my fiance and I be able to have children while he is still on probation?

Heather
Sex offenders prey on weak women with vulnerable children. If you proceed with this marriage, you deserve to have your little girl taken away from you.

Whyte Noise

From a news station in Minneapolis, MN as reported today:

"Hastings, Minn. (AP) A court-appointed evaluator who recommended that a convicted sex offender get custody of his girlfriend's daughter said he now wishes a judge had appointed an advocate to speak on the child's behalf.

Attorney David Jaehne said Thursday he spoke with the girl and visited the home before recommending she permanently live with Justin Farnsworth, 31, of Hastings.

"I always talk to the kids. I always go to the home. I interview neighbors," Jaehne told the St. Paul Pioneer Press for a Friday story.

Jaehne filed his report with Dakota County District Judge Joseph T. Carter, who last month awarded custody to Farnsworth without appointing an advocate for the child, known as a guardian ad litem.

On Wednesday, Farnsworth was charged with three counts of felony sexual misconduct involving the girl. He was jailed on $300,000 bond.

A number of people expressed outrage at the situation Thursday, and some attorneys who represent children questioned why Carter did not appoint an advocate for the girl.

But the Minnesota State Bar Association defended the judge, who has said judicial ethics preclude him from commenting.

"Given Farnsworth's reported admission of guilt, it is easy to see that he should not have been given custody of the young girl he is charged with sexually molesting," Bar Association President David Stowman said in a statement.

"Ideally, Farnsworth wouldn't have had any contact with the girl," he continued. "However, Judge Carter wasn't dealing with the ideal; he was dealing with the reality of a little girl who didn't have a responsible parent to care for her."

Farnsworth received custody of three girls under age 10 -- two of his own daughters in addition to his girlfriend's daughter. He had been registered as a sex offender after being convicted of raping a 13-year-old girl in 1994.

The girlfriend, who is the mother of all three children, repeatedly "abandoned" the children in Farnsworth's care, according to court files.

All three girls are now staying with their mother, police said.

Jaehne, who essentially investigated the custody request for the judge, said he knew about Farnsworth's previous felony sexual offense. Farnsworth spent six months in jail and 10 years on probation.

"You get two choices in a custody evaluation. In this case, only one parent was asking for the kids to live with him," Jaehne said.

Gail Chang Bohr, executive director of the Children's Law Center of Minnesota, said a guardian ad litem likely would have done his or her own independent investigation.

"You need to get the kids' voices in there somehow," she said.

Bohr said it's easy to criticize the judge, but that this case is just one example of a system plagued with troubled families, neglected and abused children and tough decisions.

"Over and over, in child protection, these things happen. As a community, we should always be concerned," Bohr said. "I am pretty sure in hindsight (the judge) would have done it differently if he had all the information. I am not sure he did."

It's not clear what other options the judge might have had, but according to Jaehne's report, Farnsworth's girlfriend had an older child living with her parents.

Minnesota law requires judges to appoint guardians ad litem for children involved in protection cases where there is alleged domestic violence, child abuse or neglect. Judges can also choose to appoint them in difficult custody cases. Guardians ad litem represented 12,500 children in Minnesota last year.

"We really are the eyes and ears for the court to investigate child welfare matters and to report back what we've found, and sometimes recommend in the child's best interest in terms of custody and contact," said Mark Toogood, state program manager for guardians ad litem.

"We are careful not to second-guess the judicial determination of cases because we don't have all the facts," he added.

Dakota County prosecutor Scott Hersey put the blame on Farnsworth.

"In my view, the situation in this case is unconscionable -- the fact that he is sexually abusing the victim and going into court to get custody to enable his ongoing sexual abuse of that child," Hersey said."

Now, I realize that the man in the above story actually got custody, and the OP's situation is just a bit different, however I posted this for a reason.

Do you REALLY want to take the chance that he could offend again, and have your own daughter be in the news because he chose HER as his next victim? The guy in the above story was convicted in 1994. 10 years ago. Didn't stop him though, did it?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Did you notice that "Heather111" hasn't come back?

That's because NONE of you are telling her what she so desperately want to read . . .

Heather, darling . . . it's okay. The trailer will always be there for you.

IAAL

D

DeadTripper

In response to the above story that was posted: The judge,evaluator and mother should all be locked up for the rest of their lives for what they let happen. There is no possible way to defend any of them. And yet the evaluater still works,the judge still has his job and the mother has her 3 kids. Yet this little girl will be haunted for the rest of her life. Far as I am concerned all three(plus the sick freak)should be given the death penalty for what they did.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jslopez711 said:
I AM ALWAYS LIABLE, be nice. :)

My response:

What's to be "nice" about?

Besides, I don't feel like being "nice" - - especially where there's children involved in this piece of "trailer trash's" scheme and utter stupidity.

So, you tell me . . . should I be "nice"?

IAAL

stevek3

Heather111 said:

Heather

Rent the movie "Chinatown."

Lady, you're an idiot. I hardly ever call people names, but this is just outrageous. Your John Wayne Gacy is "considered a low risk to re-offend?" I just hope your fiance looks as good in a clown outfit as the original Gacy did. I can't tell you just how much my heart goes out to that poor little girl. She was cursed from birth, and there's not a damn thing she'll ever be able to do about it.

Everytime I read a post here that I think can't possibly get any more stupid, another post comes right along to top it. Unreal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">