• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

maybe filing contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JoandJa'smom

What is the name of your state? TX

My sons father has threatened me that he is not going to bring our DS home from his summer visitation on time. He would be violating the court order. If he does this I am going to file contempt charges against him. Does anyone know what would likely happen the first time someone is brought into court for contempt over denial of visitation or failure to return child home at court ordered time?

Thanks, JoandJa'smom

haiku

well normally you have to prove a pattern of offense before you bring a contempt action. you have to prove constant disregard of the court order. (one time late is not enough)

First time offenders usually get nothing more than a "don't do it again" . And in my husbands case he was denied his kids 6 months! Nice huh?

In your case, I would first be curious, what is your ex threatening as late? i would think if he was not returning the child at all, hopefully it would be a better outcome.

Last edited:

nextwife

Well, when my DH's ex was found in contempt (more than once) for repeatedly failing to comply with agreed vistation, she recieved no more than a judicial "slap on the wrist". It may be different now, but he got no real assistance from the court in forcing compliance. Hope it works better for you than it did for him.

J

JoandJa'smom

I am suppose to get DS home on Friday at 6pm per the court order and basically he is saying he will return him next week, no specific day. He doesn't just want to return him home a little late, he wants to basically not return him home days late. I hope he does not do this. As much as I have wanted to w/hold his visitation in the past I have never done it for the very reason of it would be hurting my son. It is sick that he would threaten me like this.

So far I have enough on him to take him into court as far as other court ordered violations , but the denial of visitation would be the first.

By the way, not that it matters but I am the CP.

That is awful nextwife! it makes me sad that people just get slaps on the wrist for court ordered violations. I am to scared to do anything that stupid. And the fact that my sons father has a criminal record you'd think he would be a little scared as well.

Anyhow, I hope he makes the right decision but I do fear he won't and I want to make sure if there is anything I can do about this at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">