• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Provider

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Dad & I share joint legal, he is NCP. Dad lives about 40 minutes away from us. When he has the kiddo, can he take him to any doctor he wants or can i request that he be seen by his pediatrician for a sick appointment?

Son is complaining of ear pain and he wants to take him to the emergency room, which will not be covered since it isn't an 'emergent' visit...I say make a sick appt with his pediatrician and just have him seen.

mistoffolees

You can request whatever you want. Only the court can order it.

If Dad lives 40 miles away, it's probably not reasonable to expect him to take the child to his normal doctor. While the emergency room is inappropriate for an earache, an urgent care facility might have been appropriate.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Ditto mistoffolees: you can "request" - doesn't mean dad has to abide by it.

If dad wants to pay out of HIS pocket for the ER, more power to him. And considering what an ER visit costs, it'd probably be worth it to drive the distance to see the regular pediatrician. But unless dad is asking you to cover expenses for the (nonemergency) ER visit, just sigh and be thankful you're no longer with him.

Now, if you're going to be on the hook for the added expense, then that's another issue. But that was only implied, not what you asked.

LdiJ

Ditto mistoffolees: you can "request" - doesn't mean dad has to abide by it.

If dad wants to pay out of HIS pocket for the ER, more power to him. And considering what an ER visit costs, it'd probably be worth it to drive the distance to see the regular pediatrician. But unless dad is asking you to cover expenses for the (nonemergency) ER visit, just sigh and be thankful you're no longer with him.

Now, if you're going to be on the hook for the added expense, then that's another issue. But that was only implied, not what you asked.
I think that you would have better that decent odds of dad being required to pay for the emergency room visit if he makes the decision to take him there without your agreement.

An urgent clinic however, might be another story.

It ended up being a moot point altogether as Dad didn't take kiddo to any clinic whatsoever. But I still have a couple of questions if y'all have a sec:

I am the custodial parent and I am ordered to provide healthcare coverage as the NCP remains unemployed for vast stretches of time. Does the fact I am the CP and maintain the coverage for the child make any medical expenses incurred on the child's behalf my responsibility?

Let's say Dad does take kiddo to the ER for whatever reason...am I on the hook for the expense or is he since it was on his time?

And since Dad had to drive to my city to drop off kiddo is it unreasonable that he just make a sick appt. with the pediatrician since he's already going to be in town that day?

mistoffolees

It ended up being a moot point altogether as Dad didn't take kiddo to any clinic whatsoever. But I still have a couple of questions if y'all have a sec:

I am the custodial parent and I am ordered to provide healthcare coverage as the NCP remains unemployed for vast stretches of time. Does the fact I am the CP and maintain the coverage for the child make any medical expenses incurred on the child's behalf my responsibility?

Let's say Dad does take kiddo to the ER for whatever reason...am I on the hook for the expense or is he since it was on his time?
What does your decree say about unreimbursed medical expenses?

LdiJ

What does your decree say about unreimbursed medical expenses?
I think her question might be different than that. Yes, of course the decree matters about unreimbursed medical expenses...and we can have all kinds of debates about that when a parent chooses to use an ER where expenses are not reimbursed vs using other forms of care....and judges will decide those cases.

However, I think that her question was more along the lines of who the hospital would go after and whose credit would be effected if the hospital wasn't paid promptly. I could be mistaken, but that was my impression.

As a person who has no medical insurance, I am quite cognizant of TRUE
medical costs.

Seeing your primary care doctor is the best bet. Going to an urgent care clinic won't be a whole lot more than your primary care doctor if its just ordinary stuff. Going to an urgent care clinic could save a person hundreds or even thousands of dollars for basic emergency stuff.

There is almost no ER visit that is going to be less than 1500.00, no matter how basic...not when you add in all the different providers that bill you.

However, you can go to most urgent care clinics and walk out for not much more than your regular doctors would have charged you for many things, and significantly less for getting stitches or getting a basic bone break set or other types of emergency care.

mistoffolees

I think her question might be different than that. Yes, of course the decree matters about unreimbursed medical expenses...and we can have all kinds of debates about that when a parent chooses to use an ER where expenses are not reimbursed vs using other forms of care....and judges will decide those cases.

However, I think that her question was more along the lines of who the hospital would go after and whose credit would be effected if the hospital wasn't paid promptly. I could be mistaken, but that was my impression.
I don't think that's what she was asking, but if it is, then it's clear - whoever signs the form at the doctor's office guaranteeing that they will pay is on the hook. Then they can go to court to be reimbursed if the court order says the other parent is to pay.

This was part of it. Say Dad did take kiddo to the ER for a non-emergency situation (and we can all agree that an earache at 10 a.m. on a weekday is NOT an emergency, yes?) and subsequently the visit is not covered by my insurance. Since NCP signed the AOB during treatment agreeing to payment that means that he is fiscally responsible for the bill, correct? It should be in his name and be sent to his address, correct?

The only reason I ask is because I had a similar situation occur with a yearly physical. Dad couldn't make the appt. and we were under a deadline for immunizations so I went ahead and took kiddo. He, on his time, also took kiddo to the doc for a physical, less immunizations. The second visit was denied as non-covered. The bill was sent to my address with my name on it. At less than $100 I just paid the bill and shut up about it. Now, looking at the possibility of being on the hook for thousands, I'd really like to know what protection I have against something like this happening again. Would a modification of custody as it pertains to medical coverage and responsibility be a good idea at this point?

I just want some clarification, if possible. I've dealt with some of this on a professional level, but not very frequently, and I would like to know how to protect myself against his spitefulness.

Gum_Drop

I wanted to say that When I brought my Son (hubbys step son) to the doctors, the bill came in my husbands name, even though hubbys name is NO WHERE on any doctors form for my son. Not even an emergency contact.

But because the health coverage has hubby as the "main" person, that is who they billed it to.

Same thing when I brought him to the ER, hubby was not listed at all on any form, but still the bill came in his name, nameing him as the person responsible for the bill. Hubby was not at the ER with us, and didnt sign anything.

So if her hubby uses her Health Insurance card at admission.. The bill could come in her name.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
This was part of it. Say Dad did take kiddo to the ER for a non-emergency situation (and we can all agree that an earache at 10 a.m. on a weekday is NOT an emergency, yes?)
Of course, you never mentioned that it was 10am on a weekday that this occurred. However, Dad could certainly have taken the child to a pediatrician in his area, rather than hauling him back to his regular one.

gr8rn

As the subscriber of the poilicy, you would be the one billed for unpaid balances. However, make sure your agreement doesn't have stipulations regarding unreimbursed medical expenses. Since it would be your credit report that would take the hit, I would pay the bill then you could decide if you want to ask dad to help with this since he caused the expense, or take it to court and ask the judge for a specific order regarding medical expenses.

As the subscriber of the poilicy, you would be the one billed for unpaid balances. However, make sure your agreement doesn't have stipulations regarding unreimbursed medical expenses. Since it would be your credit report that would take the hit, I would pay the bill then you could decide if you want to ask dad to help with this since he caused the expense, or take it to court and ask the judge for a specific order regarding medical expenses.
So what you're saying is 'yes'? I'm the policyholder so I would be on the hook no matter who signed the AOB at time of service? Am i still responsible for 60% of this bill? I can only as the NCP to pay his share of unreimbursed expenses?

Of course, you never mentioned that it was 10am on a weekday that this occurred. However, Dad could certainly have taken the child to a pediatrician in his area, rather than hauling him back to his regular one.
Sorry, I post'd a little after the phone calls began.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">