• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical records, to give or not to give

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Epona

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A few years ago my exes lawyer sent me some paper work telling me I had to hand my medical records over to him. I felt that since I was not being represented he was calling my bluff so I dint give him anything an nothing became of it. It was not court ordered and if he really wanted my medical records couldnt he just get a warrent or served my doctor? Are medical records of parents typically brought into court?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A few years ago my exes lawyer sent me some paper work telling me I had to hand my medical records over to him. I felt that since I was not being represented he was calling my bluff so I dint give him anything an nothing became of it. It was not court ordered and if he really wanted my medical records couldnt he just get a warrent or served my doctor? Are medical records of parents typically brought into court?
Doctor/patient confidence is a fairly unassailable, which is why your ex tried to bluff you into handing them over and surrending the confidence on your own. Mental health is a touch different, in that a pyschologist is required to report to the authorities if they feel you are a threat to yourself, or others. As family courts tend to feel entitled to crap all over the consitituion, and every other right, a judge might try and compell the records if he/she feels your ex has some valid claim against your fitness as a parent for medical reasons. But in that case the ex needs to get a court order and try to get them from the doctor, don't ever volunteer to surrender your right to confidence.

Epona

sorry

This is a different order. I was not a member of this forum a few years ago and now that I am starting a new OSC I wanted to know if I just had to hand over my medical records.

This is not a duplicate post. None of this was covered on my first post and Ohiogal you have every right not to answer any of my questions based on your opinion that I ask to many questions. I also have not gotten any warning from you that I know of so sorry if there was miscommunication there. You are more than welcome to delete this thread if you deem it out of line. Or the moderartor can delete it. Whatever works and makes everyone happy.

Thank you Retired for your input.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is a different order. I was not a member of this forum a few years ago and now that I am starting a new OSC I wanted to know if I just had to hand over my medical records.

This is not a duplicate post. None of this was covered on my first post and Ohiogal you have every right not to answer any of my questions based on your opinion that I ask to many questions. I also have not gotten any warning from you that I know of so sorry if there was miscommunication there. You are more than welcome to delete this thread if you deem it out of line. Or the moderartor can delete it. Whatever works and makes everyone happy.

Thank you Retired for your input.
On your third thread which was apparently deleted (another thing we frown on) I told you to quit making new threads.

Epona

Sorry I did not see a warning. I was trelling the truth about that. Like I said, if the mods want to delete go ahead. I will continue to post on the first post I made, unless it is to late for that and and discussing my case on this forum is no longer an option?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Sorry I did not see a warning. I was trelling the truth about that. Like I said, if the mods want to delete go ahead. I will continue to post on the first post I made, unless it is to late for that and and discussing my case on this forum is no longer an option?
YOu can discuss on this forum but keep ALL questions in one thread as it makes it easier for those of us helping you to have the relevant information. When it goes piecemeal you may end up not getting the proper info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">