• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meeting halfway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kreeves09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I have been divorced for 9 years. Five years ago I remarried and moved 90 miles away. My exhusband has traveled to pick up the children and bring them home, unless exceptions have been made and other arrangements have been agreed upon. He is now asking that I meet halfway. My question is whether or not that is my responsibility. I only want to do what is right. Our divorce papers are very generic and do not state one way or the other. Thanks for your help.

sometwo

Five years ago I remarried and moved 90 miles away
So you moved away and you want HIM to do the driving?

You should be providing the transportation , from the beginning!

Why are you arguing over half way? What makes you think you shouldn't have to do any? Common sense would tell you that you moved you should accommodate him.

haiku

You moved, and it was very nice of your ex to continue to do all of the transporting, even though you created the distance.

Meet him halfway-or agree to maybe him picking the kids up at your house, and YOU picking them up at his house. That way no one is stuck waiting for someone who is late at the mcdonalds playplace, you are comfortable in your own home.

ErinGoBragh

I have been divorced for 9 years. Five years ago I remarried and moved 90 miles away. My exhusband has traveled to pick up the children and bring them home, unless exceptions have been made and other arrangements have been agreed upon. He is now asking that I meet halfway. My question is whether or not that is my responsibility. I only want to do what is right. Our divorce papers are very generic and do not state one way or the other. Thanks for your help.
I'm going to echo what you were already told:

It is absolutely your responsibility. As you created the distance, you should have been responsible for all transportation and and forth to begin with. Now that dad wants you to meet halfway, considering the circumstances, you should be saying "Absolutely, you were so kind to come all this way at your time and expensive even though I chose to move the kids away.. it's the least I could do."

If you want to do what is right, agree to meet him halfway. Or even bring the kids ALL the way on occasion to save him some time. It sounds as if your ex has been very generous regarding transportation arrangements.

LdiJ

Technically, if dad had pressed the issue when you moved, 5 years ago, YOU would have been required to provide ALL of the transportation, since you created the distance.

While I don't think that a judge would likely order you to provide all of the transportation now, I think its almost a slam dunk that a judge would order you to meet half way for exchanges. I also think that is the "right" thing to do.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Technically, if dad had pressed the issue when you moved, 5 years ago, YOU would have been required to provide ALL of the transportation, since you created the distance.

While I don't think that a judge would likely order you to provide all of the transportation now, I think its almost a slam dunk that a judge would order you to meet half way for exchanges. I also think that is the "right" thing to do.
It is not true that if someone moves they automatically are required to provide all of the transportation. They are usually made responsible to provide some sort of compensation for the distance but are not required automatically to provide all of the transportation.

LdiJ

It is not true that if someone moves they automatically are required to provide all of the transportation. They are usually made responsible to provide some sort of compensation for the distance but are not required automatically to provide all of the transportation.
I should have said the "costs of transportation".

nextwife

Besides, what parent would WANT their kids driving with a tired driver who is always doing the round trip both ways? Wouldn't one WANT to reduce the amount of road weary driving the other parent is doing? Mom, you think it's a GOOD thing for dad to first drive 90 miles after work to get them, then turn around and drive another 90 miles homes just because YOU remarried and YOU chose to put 90 miles between you?

Personally, I think it's dang NICE that dad has been doing the round trip. It's TIME for mom to step in and at least drive her share. She really SHOULD have been driving more.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I agree. Also the children are going to notice that mom doesn't seem to care if they see dad as dad is doing all the work and mom is not working with dad on this issue. it is a minor point of working together but it is noticeable.

achiodini

Your lucky I married and moved from Florida to Missouri I have to take care of summer transportation (they fly) and we meet in middle for holiday visit its court ordered and even though he's behind on child support and when I do receive a payment it doesn't even cover a new school outfit I wouldn't complain one bit if I were you

ProSeDadinMD

I agree. Also the children are going to notice that mom doesn't seem to care if they see dad as dad is doing all the work and mom is not working with dad on this issue. it is a minor point of working together but it is noticeable.
I agree with this completely. Little Miss Pro Se comments on it occasionally, because I do ALL of the driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">