• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meeting halfway after moving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohlawquestions

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

My son's mother and I have a visitation agreement / court order already in place. I am the non-custodial parent. We live in different states; I am currently located in Tennessee and they reside in Ohio. Currently, we meet halfway to exchange for visitations. I am taking a new job in Georgia and would like to know what steps I need to take in order to change our meeting point to reflect the new distance to be travelled. I would prefer to file this motion without a lawyer.

Thank you.

cyjeff

Usually, you are still responsible to bring the children to the agreed upon spot.

Put another way, it is not your ex's expense or responsibility that you moved.

ohlawquestions

Fair enough. Here's a follow-up question: with the new distance, the EOW agreement no longer makes sense. Would I be able to file to get him for longer periods of time (spring breaks, long weekends, etc.) instead of an EOW schedule?

Additional info - he is on a year-round school schedule so he often has 1-2 weeks off at a time. This was not the case when the original court order was agreed upon.

cyjeff

It would be worth it to go back to court to discuss the change in circumstance that you describe.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Fair enough. Here's a follow-up question: with the new distance, the EOW agreement no longer makes sense. Would I be able to file to get him for longer periods of time (spring breaks, long weekends, etc.) instead of an EOW schedule?

Additional info - he is on a year-round school schedule so he often has 1-2 weeks off at a time. This was not the case when the original court order was agreed upon.
File for a modification of the visitation schedule. Do not count on the other parent being responsible for transportation due to YOUR move.

mistoffolees

It would be worth it to go back to court to discuss the change in circumstance that you describe.
Or, better yet, talk with the other parent and find a solution that you can both agree with - and then submit it to the court as a stipulation.

Look up long distance parenting plans for whichever state the original order came from.

LdiJ

As was already stated, you need to go back to court (or come up with an agreement with mom and submit it to the court) regarding a new schedule based on the new distance.

You need to find out his exact school schedule in order to be able to do that.

Year 'round programs generally fall into one of two catagories: Three weeks in early fall, three weeks at Christmas, three weeks in the Spring and 5 weeks of summer, OR two weeks for fall, Christmas, and Spring and 8 weeks of summer. There is also Thanksgiving and a few odd three or four day weekends (but often fewer of those than traditional schedules have).

Don't expect to get all of those school holidays. Expect the other parent to get half or so of that time. Do expect to have to provide the bulk of the transportation as you are creating the distance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
As was already stated, you need to go back to court (or come up with an agreement with mom and submit it to the court) regarding a new schedule based on the new distance.

You need to find out his exact school schedule in order to be able to do that.

Year 'round programs generally fall into one of two catagories: Three weeks in early fall, three weeks at Christmas, three weeks in the Spring and 5 weeks of summer, OR two weeks for fall, Christmas, and Spring and 8 weeks of summer. There is also Thanksgiving and a few odd three or four day weekends (but often fewer of those than traditional schedules have).

Don't expect to get all of those school holidays. Expect the other parent to get half or so of that time. Do expect to have to provide the bulk of the transportation as you are creating the distance.
SEriously? Try this schedule:
http://www.columbus.k12.oh.us/website.nsf/0c6fc31e841022ec852573af00703e34/f2d7ed9f2d279de1852573b100551e56/$FILE/2011-12_YearRound_Cal.pdf

Last edited:

LdiJ

SEriously? Try this schedule:
http://www.columbus.k12.oh.us/website.nsf/0c6fc31e841022ec852573af00703e34/f2d7ed9f2d279de1852573b100551e56/$FILE/2011-12_YearRound_Cal.pdf
That sounds similar to the two week breaks although they have a rather large amount of three day weekends and a longer Christmas, and a bit shorter summer. Intersessions are voluntary attendence and/or the equivalent of summer school if a child is lagging behind.

My examples were generic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">