• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meeting halfway? And legal age?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wymom

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Wyoming

I have 2 questions that I can't seem to find definite answers for. I hope someone can help?

1. No where in my divorce papers that it says we have to meet halfway for dropping off & picking up the kids for a weekend. He lives 260 miles away from us and has lived up to over 600 miles away during the past 2 years and I've always met him halfway or went out of my way to meet him over halfway. Do I have to meet halfway or should he be picking up & dropping off? I've been told from friends that he should pick them up here and drop them off here.

2. My daughter, age 11, does not want to spend Christmas there. And I have a feeling she'll want to spend more of her summer here too. What age can she choose to stay here more during his weekends with them?

I hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Charidy

Whyte Noise

1.) Your friends may have been misleading you.

Usually, the court will order transportation to be split 50/50. Meeting halfway or the parent who's starting visitation to pick the child up at home with the other parent picking up from the NCP's home at the end of visitation.

You've set a precedence in meeting halfway all this time. If your decree doesn't mention anything about pickup or dropoff, and it gets taken back to court to clarify that issue, it could wind up being meeting halfway (like you've been doing anyways).

Which parent moved may play a part in the decision as well.... but since you've been doing it voluntarily already, the judge may just keep the "status quo".

2.) At the age of 18. Until that time, there is a court order for her to be with him at certain times. YOU can be found in contempt of the order if she doesn't go. Yes... even if SHE is the one that decides on her own she doesn't want to. Until you take it back to court and change the current order, it's the one that has to be followed.

Think about it like this...

At 11 years old, if she suddenly decided that she didn't want to go to school 5 days a week but only wanted to go 2... would you allow her to make THAT decision? Of course you wouldnt. And at 11 years old, she can't decide whether to go to dad's or not either. A judge made the decision for her and you have to follow that judge's order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">