• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental Disorder and Joint Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kit2007

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Sir/Ma'am,

I have been trying to get a divorce for the past year with my wife. Many domestic events have arisen and she contantly lies (I think she actually believes she isnt lying) and reports me for things though the military (We are both military) and through civilian courts. Civilian courts have dismissed her requests for restraining orders except the miliary is on the way of kicking me out. If there wasn't bad luck I wouldn't have any...I have recently been diagnosed with a "narsasistic personality disorder" (reason for discharge). Even though I do not agree I have this disorder...as a narsasist would probalby do...my pscychiatrist says that this does not have an affect on me being a good parent. However, I am afraid that my spouse will try to use this to keep me from my 3 year old son in court after I try to file for joint custody.

Will the court use this mental disorder to deny me joint custody? I know its not predictable and I am sure many things go into that desicion but I was wondering how much of an impact it may have. I do not want to lose my son.

Child services has also been involved and just recently closed there case saying reports of abuse were unfounded. After reviewing my mental health record they said they would reopen it if I left the military since the military is currently keeping me from my son and only allowing me a short amount of supervised visitation. I am also scared the state will restrict my access to my son as well if I leave the service.

I tried to put as much informatoin in here as possible. If any other information is needed just let me know. I know its a lot...but...Thanks in advance for any assitance.What is the name of your state?

Shay-Pari'e

First of all I can't believe NPD is reason for getting booted out of the military. It's funny you mention that your wife lies and believes herself. Does she have NPD also?

A

Aria

My ex lost his parental rights even after CPS called allegations of abuse unfounded and the mental disorder his ex accused him of having (which is actually a side effect of a physical disorder) was also proven he did not have.

Can you be denied? In short, yes.

Just Blue

My ex lost his parental rights even after CPS called allegations of abuse unfounded and the mental disorder his ex accused him of having (which is actually a side effect of a physical disorder) was also proven he did not have.

Can you be denied? In short, yes.
If you read OP's post closely he was Dx'ed with NPD by a Psychiatrist.

Kit2007

The military can discharge you for wetting the bed...so I think any kind of mental disorder would qualify.

I think my wife has many mental issues...but I am not a psychologist... (She was diagnosed manic depressive or something)

I asked my psychologist how NPD effects parenting. She told me that it didn't. So i hope the court doesnt deny me joint custody because of this. I am still trying to find a 2nd opinion to dispute this diagnosis because I think they are basing it off of the wrong things and military docotors...think motrin is the cure for everything...

Just Blue

The military can discharge you for wetting the bed...so I think any kind of mental disorder would qualify.

I think my wife has many mental issues...but I am not a psychologist... (She was diagnosed manic depressive or something)

I asked my psychologist how NPD effects parenting. She told me that it didn't. So i hope the court doesnt deny me joint custody because of this. I am still trying to find a 2nd opinion to dispute this diagnosis because I think they are basing it off of the wrong things and military docotors...think motrin is the cure for everything...
What "wrong things" are they basing the Dx ?

According to the link I posted NPD can affect parenting...quite negatively too ....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">