• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental health issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandee2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have a toddler with special needs and am currently seperated from my husband. A few years ago, he disappeared and very seriously tried to kill myself. He required months long hospitalization for both physical and mental issues. He had to hospitalized again about a year and a half ago because he told me he was going to kill myself. He had a a series of seizures less than a year ago because he wouldn't take his antidepressants again. My husband isn't violent, but he can be neglectful. He gets so depressed that he can't even take care of himself let alone a child with autism. What are the odds that a judge would give him joint custody?

I've been so afraid that I haven't contacted a lawyer, and my husband pays whatever he feels like paying for support.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have a toddler with special needs and am currently seperated from my husband. A few years ago, he disappeared and very seriously tried to kill myself. He required months long hospitalization for both physical and mental issues. He had to hospitalized again about a year and a half ago because he told me he was going to kill myself. He had a a series of seizures less than a year ago because he wouldn't take his antidepressants again. My husband isn't violent, but he can be neglectful. He gets so depressed that he can't even take care of himself let alone a child with autism. What are the odds that a judge would give him joint custody?

I've been so afraid that I haven't contacted a lawyer, and my husband pays whatever he feels like paying for support.
You might want to edit your post to change myself to himself, since that is what it appears that you mean.

As well documented as his mental health issues appear to be, and clearly not under control via medication, there is a chance that you could be awarded sole custody with him having supervised visitation. However, its not a slam dunk by any means. Consult with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">