• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental Health Issues/No Money.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DennisKeith

Living in Frederick, MD. Wife has custody of both our children in the home. She has serious mental health issues with repeated suicide attempts and acts of self mutilitation. She is seriously unstable and unable to provide proper care for any serious length of time for our children. She recently had me removed from the home with an ex parte order signed by a judge. I have pleanty of information showing her past and present hospitilizations and records showing removal from the home by the local PD on doctors orders. Here is my dilema. I have no excess cash to hire an attorney to file papers on my behalf to gain custody of my children. 1). Can I do this with out an
attorney? If not... 2). Is there free help in this type of matter available? I have been the sole parent for the past 4 years, even with my spouse in the home, can I get my kids back?

L

LadyBlu

DennisKeith said:
Living in Frederick, MD. Wife has custody of both our children in the home. She has serious mental health issues with repeated suicide attempts and acts of self mutilitation. She is seriously unstable and unable to provide proper care for any serious length of time for our children. She recently had me removed from the home with an ex parte order signed by a judge. I have pleanty of information showing her past and present hospitilizations and records showing removal from the home by the local PD on doctors orders. Here is my dilema. I have no excess cash to hire an attorney to file papers on my behalf to gain custody of my children. 1). Can I do this with out an
attorney? If not... 2). Is there free help in this type of matter available? I have been the sole parent for the past 4 years, even with my spouse in the home, can I get my kids back?
You can contact the legal aid society in the nearest metro area, or call the State Bar Assn, or you can file for custody on your own. If you are going to do that, I would like to suggest that you try to find a paralegal service that completes the motions for you. It is alot less expensive then hiring an atty.

L

LouisianaMommie29

my 2cents

Here is my two cents worth, not being any attorney, but have previous experience with this type of thing...we have coroners here in Louisiana...they have the power/authority to "commit" someone to a mental health facility/hospital if they believe that the person is one of the three conditions is met: 1. Gravely disabled and unable to care for self, 2. Homicidal - overt or spoken threats to cause physical harm to others at the precise moment that the coroner interviews the individual, and 3. Suicidal - overt or spoken threats to cause physical harm to self at the precise moment that the coroner interviews the individual. The coroners commitment order is good for 48 hours during which time 2 psychiatrists consult with the indv. to determine whether or not further treatment is warranted or if the indv. still poses a threat. This can turn things very ugly quickly and will most likely incite anger, hatred, and any possiblity of a good working relationship between you and the mother.
You could also contact social services to voice your concerns, and they are required to pay at least one visit to "check things out" here in Louisiana. Don't know the rules and laws there. If they determine that there is danger to the children or neglect, they could remove the children and place them in temporary foster care until you and your home is evaluated to determine suitability at which time they could be placed with you should you want them. Sometimes the other parent does not want them. Not inferring that you do not, only stating the way things are.
My mom and dad are foster parents, I am a former social worker (could not stand the atrocities that I saw), and I also worked for a coroner for a while. Hope that helps.
I also think that you will have to "find" the money either by borrowing from family and friends or through legal aide, as you are going to have to fight to obtain custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">