• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental Illness and Child Custody....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gleams

What is the name of your state? FL

I want to know about the rights of Mothers w/ Mental Illness...

After 11 yrs my ex-byfriend put me out of my own home bc he couldnt take anymore of my illness. I moved in w/ my parents and left my daughter w/ the ex so she would not have to change schools and friends. I obtained a "Do-Nothing" lawyer bc I am pretty ignorant to child custody laws and did not realize my daughter established custody w/ the ex bc she was w/ him for so long. After waiting a year for a mediation, the mediator took the ex's side. She gave him MY house that only has MY name on it, child support, and my daughter. I was treated like some kind of a monster. No one ever considered his background and I would like to know "Why". When the ex and I were together he was never present. His only job was to pay bills (accept med bills) bc in his mind work came before everything. I raised my daughter myself w/ out his help. I could do it now w/out his help. I am perfectly competent as a Mother but people w/ Mental Illness tend to be greatly misunderstood. I am simply a person w/ an illness. It does not bother me...I dont mind. But most of all, I can give her a much better life than the ex ever could. Actually, she has asked on a couple of occasions if she could live w/ me. My daughter has medical problems the ex has meerly passed off as growing pains. She is in alot of pain and the ex chooses to do nothing. I would like to give Secondary Custody to the ex and I would like Primary Custody and receive child support from him.

Questions:
1. Where do I find the rights of those w/ Mental Illness?
2. How can I change the situation in the best interest of my daughter not
the ex? ( I gain Primary Custody and child support)
3. How can I find someone who is willing to hear my side and is knowledgable
of Mental Illness? (I do have a new lawyer but that does not seem to help)

Thanks,
Gleams

Pearl72

Once custody has been established, it is difficult to change it unless you can have substantial evidence of change of circumstances. Do you have parenting time now with your daughter? Have you tried to talk to your ex about getting more time with your daughter? How old is your daughter ?

casa

Gleams said:
What is the name of your state? FL

I want to know about the rights of Mothers w/ Mental Illness...

After 11 yrs my ex-byfriend put me out of my own home bc he couldnt take anymore of my illness. I moved in w/ my parents and left my daughter w/ the ex so she would not have to change schools and friends. I obtained a "Do-Nothing" lawyer bc I am pretty ignorant to child custody laws and did not realize my daughter established custody w/ the ex bc she was w/ him for so long. After waiting a year for a mediation, the mediator took the ex's side. She gave him MY house that only has MY name on it, child support, and my daughter. I was treated like some kind of a monster. No one ever considered his background and I would like to know "Why". When the ex and I were together he was never present. His only job was to pay bills (accept med bills) bc in his mind work came before everything. I raised my daughter myself w/ out his help. I could do it now w/out his help. I am perfectly competent as a Mother but people w/ Mental Illness tend to be greatly misunderstood. I am simply a person w/ an illness. It does not bother me...I dont mind. But most of all, I can give her a much better life than the ex ever could. Actually, she has asked on a couple of occasions if she could live w/ me. My daughter has medical problems the ex has meerly passed off as growing pains. She is in alot of pain and the ex chooses to do nothing. I would like to give Secondary Custody to the ex and I would like Primary Custody and receive child support from him.

Questions:
1. Where do I find the rights of those w/ Mental Illness?
2. How can I change the situation in the best interest of my daughter not
the ex? ( I gain Primary Custody and child support)
3. How can I find someone who is willing to hear my side and is knowledgable
of Mental Illness? (I do have a new lawyer but that does not seem to help)

Thanks,
Gleams
First problem is you allowed him to put you out of your own home. :eek:

Now that custody is established, you'd have to prove a significant change of circumstance per FL state guidelines. That is not easy to do. Courts do not like to change existing custody orders.

What mental illness do you have and was that, specifically, the reason for the custody determination? I ask because it seems more likely that custody was given to him since YOU left and allowed him to raise the child for what ended up being over a year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">