• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental Illness and Child Custody....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gleams

What is the name of your state? FL

I feel so lost and confused. After a year and two partial mediations later I finally received secondary custody of my daughter w/ supervised visitation by my parents. I would always be glad to take more but as it has been things have been working out just fine w/ the schedule. But my ex (never married) is taking me to court one month from today. I am afraid a judge will believe his allegations bc I have mental illness. Most people do not understand. My ex claims we took her outside the county when we took her to a baseball game so that right off is a lie. And he is disgusted bc we got her medical care when he wouldnt and still refuses to this day. I dont know what to do. My lawyer says we can settle out of court and thinks it would be best which is fine w/ me. My ex is dead on about me losing custody. He is so selfish and plans to take me to court. I cry everyday bc I am so scared of losing her. I could give her a better life than he ever could. She is an object of control for him. Funny thing, I raised her and he was never there not ever. His work came first. But bc I have a mental illness I am treated like a nothing. The court is so afraid of what I could do like going out of control and doing horrible things. People dont understand a majority of those w/ mental illness are high functioning. We own homes, have families, drive a car, have friends just like everyone else. What can I do to not lose her?

brisgirl825

It may help to know what your illness is, why you were only given supervised visits, and lost custody to begin with?

casa

Gleams said:
What is the name of your state? FL

I feel so lost and confused. After a year and two partial mediations later I finally received secondary custody of my daughter w/ supervised visitation by my parents. I would always be glad to take more but as it has been things have been working out just fine w/ the schedule. But my ex (never married) is taking me to court one month from today. I am afraid a judge will believe his allegations bc I have mental illness. Most people do not understand. My ex claims we took her outside the county when we took her to a baseball game so that right off is a lie. And he is disgusted bc we got her medical care when he wouldnt and still refuses to this day. I dont know what to do. My lawyer says we can settle out of court and thinks it would be best which is fine w/ me. My ex is dead on about me losing custody. He is so selfish and plans to take me to court. I cry everyday bc I am so scared of losing her. I could give her a better life than he ever could. She is an object of control for him. Funny thing, I raised her and he was never there not ever. His work came first. But bc I have a mental illness I am treated like a nothing. The court is so afraid of what I could do like going out of control and doing horrible things. People dont understand a majority of those w/ mental illness are high functioning. We own homes, have families, drive a car, have friends just like everyone else. What can I do to not lose her?
What is your diagnosis? Much depends on what type of mental illness you have.

Since you already only have supervised visitation and secondary custody w/your parents..I can't see a court reducing that any further (as long as you are following the court order re; the supervised visits etc.) What is Dad's custody status?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">