• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mentally ill mother, abusive father, can I get custody of my nephew?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ozzinator

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

My sister in law has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and has been in a mental hospital for 3 weeks now. She has legal custody of my 12 year old nephew. My wife and I have been keeping him while she is getting treatment.

Before my sister in law went in to the hospital, it was a very dangerous situation for my nephew. My sister in law kept a loaded gun on the table and was continually hallucinating about people in the room that she needed to shoot. Multiple drugs were found in her system including crack, meth, and marijuana.

My nephew would like to stay with us and doesn't want to live with his mother or father who is abusive and deals drugs, according to my nephew.

If my sister in law gets out but has no accountability with her medication, then it will happen again, as it has in the past. Each time it happens, she gets worse and more dangerous.

My nephew's father may try to get custody of him simply to avoid paying child support. He is in his thirties, jobless, and a drug addict.

Is there anything that we can do legally to get custody of my nephew or help him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">