• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

methadone and supervised visits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elli33

I am in canada. I need supervised visits on my x to see our children because he is on methadone everyday to get himself off of drugs. Is being on methadone enough reason for a judge to order supervised visits? Thankyou elli33

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Given this:

US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

I'm betting no one knows how Canadian Law works.

bryan.hollister

QUOTE:

Given this:

Today 01:25 PM

Wow...24,000+ posts, a senior member, and makes a statement like that?? Let's see, INTERNET - acronym: INTERnational NETwork...is it possible that people OUTSIDE of the US actually use the INTERNET? If I were a betting man, I would say that the possiblity exists that not ONLY is this the case, but it is just as likely that someone ELSE in Canada may see this and actually have some knowledge of Canadian law. My guess about the disclaimer would be that, due to the US having both state sovereignty laws AND federal laws, and other countries political and domestic systems being a mite different than our own, it is important to mention what state in the US you live so that applicable state laws can be referenced ALONG WITH federal laws that may have bearing. But, hey, what do I know? I've only been in 11 different countries and seen multiple different systems at work..

Read the name of the site, stealth...it's called FREE ADVICE...NOT Free-to-be-smug-and-arrogant-and-assume-that-US-citizens-are-the-only-ones-worldwide-who-may-need-legal-advice. Engage your brain for a moment...is it not possible that people WORLDWIDE may have access to this site, both those needing and able to offer Free ADVICE??

Now, elli33, a few questions might be in order. Are you a Canadian citizen, or an American citizen in Canada on visa? Is your ex- in Canada or the US? was the divorce decree and parenting plan executed in Canadian courts or American courts? If one of you is in the US and the other in Canada, then you not only have to deal with domestic laws, but most likely International laws as well.

Shay-Pari'e

QUOTE:

Given this:

Wow...24,000+ posts, a senior member, and makes a statement like that?? Let's see, INTERNET - acronym: INTERnational NETwork...is it possible that people OUTSIDE of the US actually use the INTERNET? If I were a betting man, I would say that the possiblity exists that not ONLY is this the case, but it is just as likely that someone ELSE in Canada may see this and actually have some knowledge of Canadian law. My guess about the disclaimer would be that, due to the US having both state sovereignty laws AND federal laws, and other countries political and domestic systems being a mite different than our own, it is important to mention what state in the US you live so that applicable state laws can be referenced ALONG WITH federal laws that may have bearing. But, hey, what do I know? I've only been in 11 different countries and seen multiple different systems at work..

Read the name of the site, stealth...it's called FREE ADVICE...NOT Free-to-be-smug-and-arrogant-and-assume-that-US-citizens-are-the-only-ones-worldwide-who-may-need-legal-advice. Engage your brain for a moment...is it not possible that people WORLDWIDE may have access to this site, both those needing and able to offer Free ADVICE??

Now, elli33, a few questions might be in order. Are you a Canadian citizen, or an American citizen in Canada on visa? Is your ex- in Canada or the US? was the divorce decree and parenting plan executed in Canadian courts or American courts? If one of you is in the US and the other in Canada, then you not only have to deal with domestic laws, but most likely International laws as well.
Can you read? US LAW ONLY!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
QUOTE:

Given this:

None of your questions apply. This site is for US LAW only and not for international law. You need to learn to comprehend.

elli33

Parents should remember two things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex (or soon to be ex) and when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death parts you.

I like your signature. Granted your relationship is till death parts you but, your freedom from the hell can be much sooner. I don't care if I am ever with another man again. The freedom from having to worry about my children with the man I ended up having them with is all I want. The more he is around me, the worse he gets and in turn, the worse it is for my kids who are very young. I often wish for my knight in shining armor to come along and protect us, love my babies and keep us safe from his manipulation. But I know it is me who has to overcome this. Set boundries and keep him there. God willing, the judge will make supervised visits. I will have to force myself to be around him if that doesn't happen and that is what I am afraid of. I have an appointment to talk to a lawyer but right now I am in the waiting period and looking for answers to calm me down. He gave up his love for me when he hit me and treated me like a caged animal. I only want to be away from this man now. Heroine addicts are very manipulative (they have years of experience on us, well maybe not lawyers) I have never touched drugs in my whole life. I did acid and mushrooms one time each when I was a young teenager and have hated drugs ever since. Go figure I end up with a heroine addict. Any courageous lawyers out there want to save a beautiful woman and her two babies from a relentless heroine addict? lol

Shay-Pari'e

Parents should remember two things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex (or soon to be ex) and when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death parts you.

I like your signature. Granted your relationship is till death parts you but, your freedom from the hell can be much sooner. I don't care if I am ever with another man again. The freedom from having to worry about my children with the man I ended up having them with is all I want. The more he is around me, the worse he gets and in turn, the worse it is for my kids who are very young. I often wish for my knight in shining armor to come along and protect us, love my babies and keep us safe from his manipulation. But I know it is me who has to overcome this. Set boundries and keep him there. God willing, the judge will make supervised visits. I will have to force myself to be around him if that doesn't happen and that is what I am afraid of. I have an appointment to talk to a lawyer but right now I am in the waiting period and looking for answers to calm me down. He gave up his love for me when he hit me and treated me like a caged animal. I only want to be away from this man now. Heroine addicts are very manipulative (they have years of experience on us, well maybe not lawyers) I have never touched drugs in my whole life. I did acid and mushrooms one time each when I was a young teenager and have hated drugs ever since. Go figure I end up with a heroine addict. Any courageous lawyers out there want to save a beautiful woman and her two babies from a relentless heroine addict? lol

What are you on? Did you not read your responses?

LOL????? :rolleyes:

elli33

"The opinions expressed here are not those of my employer, my husband, my bar buddies, or myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis as revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald..."

And your asking me what I'm on :)

I was meaning as a companion. Someone that knows more than the addict whos after me.
And I was only kidding! Reading Ohiogal's signature made me think of those things.
Get with the program :)lol

Shay-Pari'e

"The opinions expressed here are not those of my employer, my husband, my bar buddies, or myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis as revealed to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald..."

And your asking me what I'm on :)

I was meaning as a companion. Someone that knows more than the addict whos after me.
And I was only kidding! Reading Ohiogal's signature made me think of those things.
Get with the program :)lol
There will be a quiz after the program, let's see if you can keep up.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I like your signature.

Thanks.

Granted your relationship is till death parts you but, your freedom from the hell can be much sooner. I don't care if I am ever with another man again. The freedom from having to worry about my children with the man I ended up having them with is all I want. The more he is around me, the worse he gets and in turn, the worse it is for my kids who are very young.

If you were in the states here is the thing: You picked this man to be your kids daddy. Now if he is an addict, you would probably qualify for supervised visits IF the drug abuse were having a direct negative affect on the kids. That may or may not apply in Canada. However what you need to realize is that your kids are going to love their daddy. That is human nature. Your children SHOULD love their daddy even though he is flawed and sick and making bad choices. They should not emulate him but love him. Two very different things. You need to concentrate on your children -- get them into counseling so that they can understand and learn to cope with all the changes that are going on in their short lives.

I often wish for my knight in shining armor to come along and protect us, love my babies and keep us safe from his manipulation. But I know it is me who has to overcome this.

Good. DO NOT get involved in a reltaionship for at least a year after the divorce. If not you will make even worse decisions.

Set boundries and keep him there. God willing, the judge will make supervised visits. I will have to force myself to be around him if that doesn't happen and that is what I am afraid of. I have an appointment to talk to a lawyer but right now I am in the waiting period and looking for answers to calm me down. He gave up his love for me when he hit me and treated me like a caged animal. I only want to be away from this man now.

And that is good that you are leaving. However again you need to love your children more than you hate him. Because he is their daddy. And they have EVERY RIGHT to love him.

Heroine addicts are very manipulative (they have years of experience on us, well maybe not lawyers) I have never touched drugs in my whole life. I did acid and mushrooms one time each when I was a young teenager and have hated drugs ever since. Go figure I end up with a heroine addict. Any courageous lawyers out there want to save a beautiful woman and her two babies from a relentless heroine addict? lol
Then you have touched drugs in your life. As for courageous lawyers -- none can save you. You have to make the right decisions to save yourself. A good lawyer can help guide you but the choices and decisions are mostly upon you.

Halls

Not that this makes a difference since I'm talking about US law, but here where I live a friend of mines DH has a son with mentally ill woman who he has custody of. He goes to most of his visits with her even though she has been on methadone to help her stop drinking alcohol for over a year. She actually ended up in the hospital with a severely damged liver and almost died. My friends DH witheld visitation once right after that event but once she started to seek treamtent by going to the methadone clinic he let her have thier son again. She was in the hospital again a month ago and the child went to visit his moms mom during that visitation instead of going to moms. Mom understands dads concern but as long as he isn't witholding visitation all the time she lets him make the calls on what is best. So they let him go see her and actually called teir lawyer about it and she said that the family court probably wouldn't do much about it so they just continue t send the child and hope and pray the mom gets better.

bryan.hollister

Hey lookie!!

Would you believe that through the wonders of the Internet, I was able to find links to Canadian Divorce and Child Custody Law?? Blew my mind, really; I thought the Internet was only in America!! Here they are, elli:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dlmoir/homepage.htm

http://www.duhaime.org/family/default.aspx

http://www.expertlaw.com/library/child_custody/index.html

elli, I haven't drilled down through all the links on each page, but there are a few that appear to deal with child access scenarios that may be helpful; the third one, Expert Law (and be wary of the word "Expert"), even has a law forum appearing similar to this one where you may get some first hand advice on how your situation should be handled...I'm not Canadian, so I can't speak specifically to Canadian law, but someone there should be able to. I hope you can find more help there than you have here.

Now, to shay par'ie (and ohiogal and stealth): I may not be the most intelligent being on the planet, but my comprehension is just fine, thank you. In fact, it is quite above average, if I do say so myself. You see, WORDING has everything to do with a person's comprehension. If the disclaimer at the top of the forums had the words "THIS SITE IS FOR..." placed immediately BEFORE "US Law only..." then it would have been perfectly clear, to me and anyone else, that US law only was referenced here. However, those words are conspiciously absent, thereby leading some people to -gasp - quite possibly read it as a notice to posters that if you are in the US, your state must be referenced in order to get proper and complete advice on your situation.

Now, a second point, if I may: had stealth2's initial response been less smug and more helpful - for example, had you pointed out kindly to the poster that all members were US citizens and could not help her here, and then possibly given her links to access CANADIAN law - then I would not have "comprehended" that stealth was being a twit. Strange how I, as a mere junior member, was able to do just what I suggested could have been done. And it only took me about 2 minutes...

Are there certain qualifications for becoming a Senior member? do you have to post mistake-free for a certain period of time before you are awarded such a lofty title, or sit in front of your computer day in and day out until you accumulate enough posts to reach that pinnacle? One would think that by the time one reached the level of "Senior Member" that said members would realize people occasionally get things horribly wrong (like reading a disclaimer and seeing a different definition than they believe or know to be true), and would have enough tact to both point out the error without arrogance, and guide the lost soul in the right direction to get the help they need. Then again, I am just a junior member, so there may be things I haven't had the privilege of being informed of yet...

That concludes English 101 for todays lesson. Tomorrow we will begin working on verb conjugation and tense matching...

thank you, have a nice day...:D

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

Hey Look what I found !

Scroll up Brian, it's at the top of the page.:rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hey Look what I found !

Scroll up Brian, it's at the top of the page.:rolleyes:
Oh but the words "This site is for" aren't there so Bryan thinks that excuses his stupidity.

elli33

Bryan,
Thankyou, I really appreciate you finding those sites for me. The forum was exactly what I was looking for.
Ohiogal thankyou for the insight. I have really taken it to heart. I need to hear things like that.

And thankyou to everyone else for the very entertaining dialougue:)

Elli

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">