• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In military, child support question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fixious

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Im in the military and live in nebraska, girlfriend lives in Iowa which is where Im a resident. I found out last week she was pregnant. We plan to live together. She has one child who she does receive child support from? What advice could you provide. Does she have to initiate child support actions or are they automatically done?

C

craftymom

Confused.....
Why would you be paying support if you plan to live together?

F

fixious

RE

Trying to figure out the worst case i guess. I have every hope of doing this as a team but stability in this relationship hasn't been par. So the mother will have to initiate action if she wants child support?

CMSC

Okay first of all being in the military I have heard of people getting child support withheld directly from their pay so that when they are sued for support it shows that they have been paying.

Second, are you moving to Iowa or is she coming to Nebraska? If you stay in Nebraska that will be who has jurisdiction. As long as the NCP is in Nebraska they want jurisdiction.

Yes the mother will have to initiate action. Of course you could take her to court for custody/visitation and support can be settled there. What county are you in here in Nebraska?

F

fixious

RE

I live in Sarpy country in NE. She lives in IA. We don't know yet where we want to live whether I go there or she comes near here. Going to try this together, and hope everything works out.

CMSC

Sarpy county has a great child support website, BUT I can't remember what it is now!:D I will see if I can find it again.

F

fixious

RE

The child will be born in Woodbury county, IA though if that pertains?? I won't be there for the birth (I want to) but will be deployed during that time. Will that affect anything?

CMSC

well it wouldn't hurt you to contact sarpy county and see if they will have jurisdiction and what the laws are exactly.

As for you not being there for the birth, it is understandable, you are not in a position to be there. But it is commendable that you are thinking of your childs future. I realize many people find it difficult to have children and be in the military but you do know that you can fight for custody? Another thing, if you are not going to be there for the birth, your child's mother may not choose to put you on the birth certificate and if you are not there to sign a paternity acknowledgement you need to contact HHS in Lincoln ( I can get you the number if you need it) and file an Intent to Claim Paternity.

CMSC

here is the sarpy county website http://members.aol.com/SarpyKids/Welcome.html

also if you have questions regarding claiming paternity on your child call this number and they can answer your questions on how to get it established and how to obtain a child support order (402) 593-2333

also you can go here to claim paternity and custody (it has to be done within 5 days of the birth of the child or notification of the father. http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/adp/biofnotice.htm

here is the intent to claim paternity without obtaining custody http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/adp/biofclaim.htm

For more information, contact:
Nebraska Health and Human Services System
Vital Statistics
P.O. Box 95065
Lincoln, NE 68509-5065
(402) 471-9097
e-mail: [email protected]

T

tmontz26

You can call the hospital where the child will be born and ask to speak to someone in the records department. Explain to them that you are military and will be out on deployment when the child is born and what can be done to have your name put on the birth certificate without you being there. I've heard of girls putting guys down without them being there and of course I don't think you should be able to but that is what i've heard. My husband was also in the military when our daughter was born and he was supposed to be on deployment during her birth and the people told me that they could put a hold on the birth certificate for a certain number of days until he was able to get in to sign it. You should check into it and see what they can do for you or try to take leave to be there for it.
Once your child is born and you show proof to p.s.d. of her/his existence and that you have been giving the mom money, they will give you around $110 a month for support. Atleast that is what my husband got from the military for support because we WEREN'T married when she was born but as soon as we were married, they stopped giving him the money.
I don't know if any of this helped but I commend you for wanting to take care of your child and for thinking ahead also.

S

susie521

I am assuming psd is personnel services division? The amount you get for 'support' is actually based on rank. You should get at least partial BAQ once the child is born. YOu will have to prove the child is yours (the birth certificate should be sufficient). YOu really should talk to your squad leader/platoon sgt/1SG (if you are army, I don't know the equivilent if you are navy or air force). Because you will be deployed the paperwork will be a little more difficult, but it is still important. YOur unit should guide you in the right direction. The baby should be eligible for medical care (TRICARE) and the mother can probably get provision access to other facilities on post - commissary, PX - because the child is eligible but unable to access without an adult. Your unit really should be able to brief you on this or make an appointment for someone who can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">