+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    RCASEY31 Guest

    Question Military Dependant status for my brother

    Hello, I am trying to get some help on making my brother my legal dependant, but I keep getting the run around. If there is anyone out there that can help me I would greatly appreciate it. Here's my problem. I am 26 yrs old and I am in the Military. My brother is 16yrs and he currently lives with me and my husband in Texas, and my mother lives in MIssouri. I am due to go overseas in approximately 2 - 2 1/2 months and in order for my brother to go with us he has to be my dependant. Basically, my husband and I are trying to get custody of him, but we keep getting the run around. The Military (DFAS) requires a legal document signed by a judge, my husband and I, and my mother saying that my mother gives us full custody of my brother. My problem is that I've talked to different lawyers and each one tells me something different. Some say that they think that a Management Conservativeship will safice, others say I need to get an attorney to represent us, my mother needs to just sign a wavier saying she consents to this and doesn't require a hearing, and get an attorney to represent his father, place an ad in the paper to try and notify him since no one knows where he is, and that the entire process could possibly take up to 3 months (which we just do not have), and cost about $1500. If there is anyone out there that knows what kind of inexpensive documents we can use to get this done, and can give me the information on how to obtain them, or what I can do besides/instead of that/ those process(es), or just any information to help me ease this process along I would be most gracious. I have been trying to get these documents in the works since October, yet with no luck. PLEASE HELP!!!

    Thanks in advance,

    Big Sister Taking on the role of mom!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    wherever the Marine Corps sends us
    As far as I know - having gone through this to get dependant status for my daughter when I married my husband (her step-dad) you have to have an actual LEGAL CUSTODY ORDER to have dependancy status. But, just to be sure instead of asking attorneys why not go to the DEERS office and ask them directly what specifically you need in order to have him considered your dependant -- they will have the most accurate info as to what they want to see.
    You haven't mentioned if you have spoken to base legal yet? They cannot represent you BUT they can offer you information, direction and referrals to other sources of assitance (ie cheaper legal representation, documents, etc). Plus, like DEERS, they can advise you as to what specific documents the military wants to have for this to happen.
    Your best bet, considering the added issue of the boy's father is to get legal counsel to represent you and make sure all i's are dotted and t's crossed -- I would suggest asking base legal for a referral (they often have the names/#'s of attorneys who are willing to work withing limited budgets or on pay arrangements)
    I wish you the best of luck**************.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-19-2012, 09:35 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 10:14 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2004, 06:45 PM
  4. Claiming Children as a military dependant.
    By ChristinaR in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-30-2003, 10:02 PM
  5. Claiming child as a military dependant
    By sexy_mom in forum Child Custody & Visitation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2002, 06:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.