• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military mom - civilian dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SaraLH

What is the name of your state? texas

my ex-husband and I were both married and in the military together at one time when our daughter was born. before the divorce was final he got out of active military while I stayed in. He is now living with his parents in texas with our daughter. We now have joint custody of our 4 year old daughter. I currently am living near a base in Hawaii and, because of reaccuring situations, have not been able to take leave to go to get her from him. When I was able to receive leave or was not being deployed, he wouldn't allow me to come get her. I haven't seen her in almost two years now and I was supposed to have her during the summer months of each year. Now, he is filing for full custody and I don't know what to do. His parents have been very instrumental in keeping me away and keeping me from seeing her. What should I do and how can I find a good lawyer (military-friendly)to represent me if I'm not there (texas)?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What did you do the past 2 summers when he refused you your time? That could be important.

usmcfamily

Do you have documentation of the times he refused you access to the child?
I suggest you contact the Texas State Bar Association and ask for a referral to a family law attorney - preferably one with experience in cases like yours (finding one that has handled a case EXACTLY like yours may be hard but as close as you can get is GREAT!)

S

SaraLH

HELP!

I just kept calling the grandparents and the father and they kept making excuses, such as, we're getting ready to go on vacation, you can't pull her out of school, etc... I didn't know what else to do so I have no documentation. The divorce custody papers are from California but, in texas, I heard, if she lives there longer than 6 months that she becomes a resident of that state and if I take her away than they can accuse me of kidnapping. Is this true? And his family has connections in the county-it has been very hard to find a lawyer to listen to me.

VeronicaGia

You should have filed contempt for denial of visitation, and you still can, but the court will wonder why you didn't hire an attorney to represent your interests, even if you could not personally attend court.

You could have document in a journal each and every time visitation was denied. You should start doing that now.

Once the child becomes a resident of TX, he can have custody heard there, unless you are still a resident of the original state where the divorce took place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">