• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AirForceWife123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Military wife for almost 6 years. Been living in VA for 5. The courts in PA granted my relocation to VA in 2009. My son is 9 and his dad still resides in PA. I have since had another child, he's almost 2 with my husband. My husband has now got orders for Texas. My son's dad will put up a fight. Is there a big chance I won't be granted relocation this time since it's so far?

I should mention my custody agreement has been changed to once monthly, Thanksgiving, have of Xmas break and one month in the summer. We meet halfway in MD

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Military reocations are often granted, but you should expect to pay for most - if not all - transportation. Dad will also likely get most of the summer - especially if his time during the rest of the year is reduced.

AirForceWife123

Military reocations are often granted, but you should expect to pay for most - if not all - transportation. Dad will also likely get most of the summer - especially if his time during the rest of the year is reduced.
Thank you. That's what I'm hoping. I keep reading blogs where ppl were denied. I expect to pay for everything

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Thank you. That's what I'm hoping. I keep reading blogs where ppl were denied. I expect to pay for everything
Often does not equal always. I'm sure there are requests that are denied. Especially if the other parent puts up a good case against moving the kids.

TinkerBelleLuvr

They already are out of state. At this point, it is just a matter of moving the parenting time around a bit to allow dad access but still allow him to have the same number of days in the year.

AirForceWife123

They already are out of state. At this point, it is just a matter of moving the parenting time around a bit to allow dad access but still allow him to have the same number of days in the year.
That's what I'm hoping and willing to do. Definitely not trying to interfere w their relationship. I just wish we could discuss and agree outside of court

mommyanme

I've read some of the same denials for military relocation, on appeals court decisions in my state and in almost every case the parent was denied relocation because they would interfere with visitation. I have one such friend who is now living off base, here in NC,without her husband, who is stationed in California, because she wouldn't listen to any of us or her Attorney about her interference with Dad's visits and using the military to do so! Her animosity runs deep. It's nice to see you're the opposite of that.

AirForceWife123

Have you followed the court orders since you left the state?
I missed a visit in February due to a hurricane watch and he took me to court for cotempt. She fined me w having to make the date up which I had no problem with. He just wanted to waste my time and have me drive to PA. Since then I'm in the process of moving my case to va. We have a court date in october

LdiJ

I missed a visit in February due to a hurricane watch and he took me to court for cotempt. She fined me w having to make the date up which I had no problem with. He just wanted to waste my time and have me drive to PA. Since then I'm in the process of moving my case to va. We have a court date in october
Its honestly unlikely that you are going to be denied the right to relocate. Its not guaranteed of course, but its unlikely...particularly since you and dad are not living in the same state now.

AirForceWife123

Its honestly unlikely that you are going to be denied the right to relocate. Its not guaranteed of course, but its unlikely...particularly since you and dad are not living in the same state now.

I really hope so. I have every intention on facilitating their relationship

Indiana Filer

Why are you trying to move the case to VA if you're (possibly) moving to TX? Dad is still in the original state, correct?

Proserpina

I've read some of the same denials for military relocation, on appeals court decisions in my state and in almost every case the parent was denied relocation because they would interfere with visitation. I have one such friend who is now living off base, here in NC,without her husband, who is stationed in California, because she wouldn't listen to any of us or her Attorney about her interference with Dad's visits and using the military to do so! Her animosity runs deep. It's nice to see you're the opposite of that.
In NC though, the burden of proof is on the parent wishing to relocate. In some states there is shifting burden (Indiana springs to mind), and others require the non-relocating party to prove why the relocation shouldn't be awarded.

PA allowed Mom to relocate once; I find it hard to believe they'd suddenly change their minds , specially for a military move.

It would likely benefit Mom to keep the case in PA if possible.

Proserpina

Wait, what? Dad filed for contempt when you were under hurricane watch?!

I find that to be absolutely appalling, and very much against the best interests of the child.

AirForceWife123

Wait, what? Dad filed for contempt when you were under hurricane watch?!

I find that to be absolutely appalling, and very much against the best interests of the child.
Exactly. I had proof of all the weather watch alerts and everything. This just shows that he is out to make my life miserable. The judge found me in contempt and I have to make up the weekend. The crazy part is I would've made the weekend up but he refuses to talk to me outside of court. So I had to take time off my work and so did my husband drive 6 hours, pay a hotel just for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">