• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Counsel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Calvin n Hobbs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I filed Ex-Party on my Child Custody case to request that Minor Counsel be assigned to my Son who is currently 17 and living with his Mother (she is the Custodial Parent). My Son had asked to live with me; however, his Mother was against it.

My ex-party filing occurred in February 2009 and minor counsel was assigned by the courts and I paid a retainer the same day she was assigned as Minor Counsel by the courts.

The case has been continued several times over the past year. In December of 2009, not having received any additional Invoices from Minor Counsel for work performed, I initiated a letter to the Attorney requesting an Invoice. With no reply. I sent a second request letter for an Invoice in January 2010.

In February, 2010, 11 months after she was Assigned, I received a bill from the Attorney with many abbreviations that made her bill very unclear to me. I sent another letter to the attorney requesting that the abbreviation be spelled out so that I can be clear on the work performed.

During this time, I also received a call from my attorney. He shared with me a recent phone conversation he had with Minor Counsel, where she advised him that she hasn't been paid. My attorney was unaware of my letters and I advised him that I haven't paid her because she hadn't invoiced me anything to pay. I believe she called my attorney to play "damage control" and to make me look bad.

Finally, I received the bill in a format that I could read mid April 2010. Two weeks later I received a demand letter for payment from Minor Counsel.

In reviewing the bill I found that Minor Counsel billed me for reading my letters requesting an invoice ($175) and also charged me $650.00 to prepare the invoice. Both charges I am disputing.

I took 40 days to review the invoice with covered a span of 11 months. I submitted a letter clarifying the facts of my communications and included a check which indicated "Payment in Full" in the memo section for the full amount of the invoice LESS the charges for reading my request for invoice and preparing the bill. I provided the reasons for disputing these charges in my letter.

I sent the payment in the mail on a Wednesday and that same week on Friday I received a court filing from the Minor Counsel requesting to be heard by a judge regards to collecting her fees for services provided. In her Declaration she doesn't mention that I initiated the request for invoices nor does she mention that she hadn't billed me in over 11 months. In her Declaration she has added an additional $3,200 to her billing for now having to file to collect the money she believes is owed.

Today, I received confirmed from my Bank that she cashed my check, but scratched out the Terms, "Payed In Full" in the memo field. So I am under the impression she is going to go forward with her case in front of the judge to collect the fees related to Preparing the bill and filing.

So, now here is my question: Can Minor Counsel change my intentions or the condition of my payment by crossing out the Terms, "Payment in Full"? I truly feel that this attorney is trying take advantage of me, providng a bill late and last minute, ordering me to pay immediately without review, then takes me to court and amasses additional fees.

Also I would like to know your opinion on me filing a grievance with the Courts, as I feel this attorney has been totally unprofessional.

My intenions was to resolve a family problem, what I got was another problem an attorney who believes Customer Services is something you get in a coffee shop.

LdiJ

Why did you decide to get into an adversarial situation with your son's Minor's Counsel in the middle of your custody battle?

I agree that she shouldn't have been charging you for reading letters asking for a bill...nor should she have charged you $650.00 for preparing the bill (unless you were being unreasonable in your demands)...however you really turned things adversarial at a time when it probably was not in your best interest to do so.

IMO he did not get adversarial. Attornies are supposed to invoice on a regular basis if they have used up the retainer and want more money. How is the client supposed to know how much work an attorney (even Minor Counsel) is doing unless they get an invoice?

In California an attorney must provide an invoice that line items work product such as 15 minutes phone call to client, 5 minutes read letter from opposing counsel, etc. They are not supposed to lump a bunch of line items together. Minor Counsel should have been providing invoices upon request on a regular basis. Any retainer is supposed to be placed in a trust account and not co-mingled with other clients' funds. There are other ethical rules that attornies must follow and you might want to go to the California Bar website The State Bar of California. Click on the Rules of Professional Conduct on the right sidebar to read up on them.

Yes, Minor Counsel can scratch your "payment in full" out. But I would let her take this matter before the Court. In your response you should state the facts and attach the copies of the letters you sent to Minor Counsel and your arguments why she should not be awarded the extra money she is requesting.

HTH

Calvin n Hobbs

Thank you for your response. There are other activities that she had done which also were very unprofessional, for example I was asked to provide character witnesses on my behalf. I scheduled these individuals with her office and in once case, the gentleman drove over 40 miles to meet with her and had to take of work. Minor Counsel did not show for the appointment, never called to cancel with the Character Witness and never called to reschedule the appointment.

Question: Do you think I should include this in my response regarding Minor Counsel's professionalism (or lack thereof)?

CJane

Question: Do you think I should include this in my response regarding Minor Counsel's professionalism (or lack thereof)?
No.

The court case isn't about his/her lack of professionalism. The case is about whether or not you owe certain fees that he/she believes that you owe, and for which you were invoiced.

Bringing up extraneous matters that obviously irritated you, and are still irritating you, but which have no bearing on the case at hand will cloud the issue and give an impression that you didn't pay for other reasons than what you've stated.

Calvin n Hobbs

Last Question (I think):

My attorney has to file a response to Minor Counsel's Declaration requesting payment.

In my response would it be reasonable to request that Minor Counsel be responsible to pay for all of my attorney fee's associated with this filing if the courts are in favor of my position on the matter?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I had an ex-party the day my divorce was final! Friends, family, arbitrary neighbors! It was fun!!!

The ex-parte my ex filed? Not so much. ;)

CJane

I think that you need to seriously consider the ramifications of not paying the attorney.

I'm NOT saying that what you've been invoiced for is "correct". BUT, as is often the case, one really needs to do a cost/benefit analysis before entering into court action.

You disagree with the charges on principal. I totally get that.

BUT you're paying your attorney to respond to this filing. You'll pay your attorney to go to court with/for you. You risk paying the minor's counsel after a judgment, and that judgment can/will include associated costs for bringing the case before the court.

Even if you prevail, you still end up paying your attorney, because it's unlikely court costs will be awarded in your favor.

You need to weigh whether the potential costs outweigh the potential benefits (which I don't think are all that great).

ecmst12

Not to mention that it was obnoxious and legally meaningless for you to write "paid in full" on your check when you knew the charges were in dispute.

LdiJ

Not to mention that it was obnoxious and legally meaningless for you to write "paid in full" on your check when you knew the charges were in dispute.
This reminds me of something really silly I did about 30-35 years ago.

I honestly don't remember why I did this, but I was paying something I was certain I didn't believe I owed.

I wrote on the check that something along the lines that cashing the check was an admittance by the reciever that they corruptly charged the money to me.

They still cashed it and got their money.

CourtClerk

My sister did this once. The lockbox that the check was sent to rejected the check, sent it back to her. The company then charged her an obnoxious late fee because of course, they sent her back the check.

CJane

My sister did this once. The lockbox that the check was sent to rejected the check, sent it back to her. The company then charged her an obnoxious late fee because of course, they sent her back the check.
Next time I send in my mortgage payment, I'm gonna put "Paid in full" on the check and see if I get away with it.

Could save me $50,000!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In my response would it be reasonable to request that Minor Counsel be responsible to pay for all of my attorney fee's associated with this filing if the courts are in favor of my position on the matter?
This is really unlikely to happen, Cal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">