• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed court date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnwilliams01

I live in Oklahoma. i filed a petition for visitation with my son on oct 13th sending via process server. the court date was set for nov 18th. i recieved by certified letter on nov 15th, a notice of continuance so that she could get a lawyer. i just learned that the court date was two days ago but she did not notify me at least not by process server or certified letter. needless to say i was unaware of the court date and missed. my question is what do i do now? and will the judge understand especially since im the one that filed to begin with? i would have thought that she would have to get some kind of reciept stating i recieved the notice.

majomom1

I live in Oklahoma. i filed a petition for visitation with my son on oct 13th sending via process server. the court date was set for nov 18th. i recieved by certified letter on nov 15th, a notice of continuance so that she could get a lawyer. i just learned that the court date was two days ago but she did not notify me at least not by process server or certified letter. needless to say i was unaware of the court date and missed. my question is what do i do now? and will the judge understand especially since im the one that filed to begin with? i would have thought that she would have to get some kind of reciept stating i recieved the notice.
Did the notice of continuance show the new court date?

ecmst12

And you didn't contact the court to find out when the hearing date is? You'd better get a lawyer before you screw this up even more.

shawnwilliams01

i called the court when i got the notice and they said there hadnt been a court date set. so after the 20 days was up i was going to do another order set hearing to set another date and send the new date to the mother by process server. btw i cant afford a lawyer. im paying child support and have a family of my own to support

majomom1

no as a matter of fact the letter of continuance was filed a week before the new date had been set
Huh? You received a certified letter on the 15th? That must have been the request for a continuance... Did you go to court on Nov 18th? or call?

If you do not have an attorney, you have to be proactive and show up, or call to find out court dates.

sometwo

im paying child support and have a family of my own to support
What? Family of your own? Like this child isn't your family? Was this child first or your "family" . Just curious.

sometwo

ok I see you have two different threads. Is this for two children? If not then why the double threads. That gets too confusing. I can't just hunt around for your story. Even if it is the top two threads.

shawnwilliams01

Huh? You received a certified letter on the 15th? That must have been the request for a continuance... Did you go to court on Nov 18th? or call?

If you do not have an attorney, you have to be proactive and show up, or call to find out court dates.
the court date was originally set for nov 18th. i recieved the letter for continuance 3 days before the court date (nov 15). i called the next morning and she had filed for 20 days to get a lawyer. they told me that a court date was not set that she had filed the continuance but did not set another date. so my plan was that once the 20 days was up (dec 6th) i would go to the court house file another "order set hearing" to recieve a court date and have it sent to the mother by process server. she had gotten a court date and filed the continuance for hearing but did not send it to me. so i wasnt aware of the court date. in other words she did not send it by certified mail, process server, publication.

shawnwilliams01

What? Family of your own? Like this child isn't your family? Was this child first or your "family" . Just curious.
my family because i did not know about my son till july. btw i knew someone would take that out of context. always has to be someone self rightous huh?

shawnwilliams01

ok I see you have two different threads. Is this for two children? If not then why the double threads. That gets too confusing. I can't just hunt around for your story. Even if it is the top two threads.
no its for the same child. i just found out today after i had been working on the case and posted the other thread. so i guess you could say im needing to deal with this before i do the name change.
sorry about the confusion. i posted two different threads because its two different topics. thank you for your help

CJane

So, you have ONE child with a woman and with whom paternity was established in June.

And A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHILD that you found out about in July?

And you're trying to handle two different court cases regarding two different children with two different women at the same time without an attorney?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So, you have ONE child with a woman and with whom paternity was established in June.

And A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHILD that you found out about in July?

And you're trying to handle two different court cases regarding two different children with two different women at the same time without an attorney?
No, I think it is only the one child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">