• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed Visitation, Make up Time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CO and NM
Father missed his week of visitation in January with our now 19 month old. He said it was due to bad roads, but would not make up immediately (that week). I felt like it just wasn't convenient for him. Here we are 7 months later and he wants to make up that week against an already scheduled week. Our parenting plan says nothing about making up missed time. Also, in mediation when originally creating the parenting plan we both agreed until baby was 3 or so, that anything longer than a week away from mother would be very hard on baby.
Has anyone had missed time issues before?
Anyone had visitation longer than a week with a 19month old?
Would the judge favor the original parenting plan?

LdiJ

mywholeworld said:
What is the name of your state? CO and NM
Father missed his week of visitation in January with our now 19 month old. He said it was due to bad roads, but would not make up immediately (that week). I felt like it just wasn't convenient for him. Here we are 7 months later and he wants to make up that week against an already scheduled week. Our parenting plan says nothing about making up missed time. Also, in mediation when originally creating the parenting plan we both agreed until baby was 3 or so, that anything longer than a week away from mother would be very hard on baby.
Has anyone had missed time issues before?
Anyone had visitation longer than a week with a 19month old?
Would the judge favor the original parenting plan?
More than a week would be way too confusing for a 19 month old. From a legal perspective I would say that since dad chose not to exercise his week of parenting time that he is sol.

However, from a moral perspective you should probably work out a makeup week for him...just not one that is consecutive with another one.

You're absolutley right, I've suggested adding a few days to each scheduled week, to equal 7 days. He's determined to have him for 2 weeks because he says he has a 2 week vacation. I think thats great, but responsibility of a child isn't always at convenience. I hope the judge sees this too. Father was upset because baby was sick for one of his weeks, and said, "well at least I got two good days out of him." I'm so frazzled!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">