• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

missing school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rachelle Felton

What is the name of your state?Washington

My ex has residential custody of our son. I fought for split custody, but there was some distance between our residences so I lost. He started living with her monday-friday three years ago and since then he has missed a lot of school. Last year he missed 23 days and this year he has missed 21. Only two of the absences this year were excused by a doctors note. (none were last year.) When we had split custody while he was in kindergarten (4 years ago) he also missed over twenty days during his time with her. His explanation is that when he misses the bus she lets him stay home rather than driving him to school. I am considering going to court for split custody again because now I live close to his school, and that was the deciding factor for the GAL. Are his absences excessive (am I just overreacting?)?
Will this help me at court?

LdiJ

Rachelle Felton said:
What is the name of your state?Washington

My ex has residential custody of our son. I fought for split custody, but there was some distance between our residences so I lost. He started living with her monday-friday three years ago and since then he has missed a lot of school. Last year he missed 23 days and this year he has missed 21. Only two of the absences this year were excused by a doctors note. (none were last year.) When we had split custody while he was in kindergarten (4 years ago) he also missed over twenty days during his time with her. His explanation is that when he misses the bus she lets him stay home rather than driving him to school. I am considering going to court for split custody again because now I live close to his school, and that was the deciding factor for the GAL. Are his absences excessive (am I just overreacting?)?
Will this help me at court?
How is his school performance? What kind of grades does he get? Unless he is also doing very poorly (ie failing) in school, this alone is probably no where near enough to take anything to court. Yes, its too many absences...but its only about 2.2 per month.

IF and only if, as he tells you, "she allows him to stay home" because she is to lazy, etc. to drive him to school

FILE FOR FULL CUSTODY!

LdiJ

freespeech said:
IF and only if, as he tells you, "she allows him to stay home" because she is to lazy, etc. to drive him to school

FILE FOR FULL CUSTODY!
Its no where near enough by itself.

liv2luv

I have a simular issue and I know the schools were concerned as they we're telling me this when I called to get info on other issue's. Have tried to correct the problem with meetings between my wife and son's and they're so far behind in normal lessons that the teacher actually tries to spend more time on giving them assignments that never get done. And if you discussed it with the schools like me recently and they said, "your child has missed so much school this year it's impossible to think he will have a chance with other kids his age!" This has happened to my son's 6 & 13, as I leave early in the morning and wake them and make sure their dressed and fed even the 2 year old, and just before I leave I go wake my wife and they're supposed to be gone right after me. I found notices lying around the house about absences I knew nothing about because he wasn't sick! I've gotten calls at work because she just left and didn't call them to say anything asking me if I knew what was up? Tell me, how much weight this would be concerning custody. Would they accept her excuses or lies and the court not hold it against her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">