• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missouri- Voluntary surrender of Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thoth64024

Missouri

I want to voluntarily surrender my parental rights to an
illegitimate child. The mother of the child is still iving
with her husband and his name is on the birth certificate,
not mine. I know she can order a DNA test to get me on the
certificate, but will the end result be me footing the bill
for the test or paying child support? Her husband makes
alot more money than I do, and from what I understand they
are going to stay together. She has told me time and time
again that she could do this without me and that she and
the baby could disappear from my life, but it seems she is
taking all that back now that my wife and I are getting
back together.

I have it in writing that I voluntarily terminate my
rights and that I have her wilfull consent.

If she is still married, and he is on the birth
certificate, and makes alot more money than I, what could
happen, and what could I do?

thanks!
Shawn

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm confused. Her husband is legally the father. Are you helping support the child? How old is the child? Do you see the child? You may not have to do anything, to be honest.

T

thoth64024

She is angry and hurt by the fact that I chose to be back with my wife, rather than stay with her. So now she is apparently getting back with her husband. Be that as it may, she will not drop out of the scene and now insists I be on the birth certificate, even if we have to do it the 'hard way' ... I presume she means by going through the Division of Child Support Enforcement... they will order a DNA test to prove paternity if she goes after me for child support... which goes back to my original questions:

if she IS getting back with her husband (and he doesn't want her around me) then why isn't she just leaving me alone

and

How will her coming after me for child support work if she is married and he makes a LOT more money than I do?

F

FJ1200guy

Hey, was she married when she got pregnant? And when she delivered? If so... "under the Uniform Parentage Act, there is a presumption that a child born during a marriage is the offspring of the husband. However, that presumption is rebuttable via a blood test. If you get divorced and she enters a blood test into evidence proving you are not the father, then you will have the status of an unrelated third party to the child." Check your state laws. This could be a bit complex... ;)

T

thoth64024

We were living together when she got pregnant, but she was still married.

She had moved back in with him and still married when she delivered.

T

thoth64024

I have no idea what he wants. I can't get her to stop talking crazy for five seconds to tell me what's going on.

From what I understand:

She doesn't want anything from me, except for my name on the birth certificate.

She is getting back with her husband on the condition that her and I never speak again.

He is upset about being on the birth certificate and doesn't want to be.

Right now the baby has her maiden name, but 'they' (her husband and her?) want to change it to her married last name when they change the certificate and put me on it as father.

Does any of this make sense to anyone else? Not me.

F

FJ1200guy

If I were you... I wouldn't put my name on ANYthing, or take any tests unless ordered by court. Then, of course, you have no choice.

Lets address some of your questions:

"If she is still married, and he is on the birth
certificate, and makes alot more money than I, what could
happen, and what could I do?"

Nothing could happen... you are good to go in this case.

"I know she can order a DNA test to get me on the
certificate, but will the end result be me footing the bill
for the test or paying child support?"

Maybe. If things between them don't fly, she could come after you for CS. Tell her you will want visitation if she puts you on the birth certificate, that may shut her up, since he doesn't want you around at all. DEFINATELY insist on visistation if she wants CS.

"if she IS getting back with her husband (and he doesn't want her around me) then why isn't she just leaving me alone?"

I figure he may think they can get CS or something from you... who knows what they are thinking? Maybe he figures if he ends up divorcing her, he may have to pay CS for a child that isn't his. What a mess... poor baby... dang.

"How will her coming after me for child support work if she is married and he makes a LOT more money than I do?"

I don't think she can come after you... because this guy is legally the father. Watch this thread for more comments on this... I'm not sure if they are married that she can change the certificate... hopefully someone will know more. How much HE makes doesn't mean anything at all.

"Does any of this make sense to anyone else?"

Not to me... but trust me... you'll get lots of advice today. Keep checking back. :)

J

JMere2002

Wow. Read that again...

>Note of interest?
>"An acknowledgment of paternity cannot
>be used to establish the parent-child relationship
>if there is a presumed father unless the presumed
>Father files a denial of his presumed paternity."

>Does he want to deny being her father? If not, you are golden.

Given the last statement you made, your "signature", what the fuuuu are you talking about?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
thoth64024 said:
I have no idea what he wants. <snip>

He is upset about being on the birth certificate and doesn't want to be.
There you have it. Most likely, he will file that he is not the father, and they will take you to court to prove paternity. Once you are proven to be the father, the court will likely order the bc changed, and order you to pay child support. You should then file for visitation with your child.

The fact that her husband makes a lot of money is moot. If you are the father, the child deserves to have YOU help support it. He has no legal obligation to do so. You don't get a pass just because he makes more money than you do.

F

FJ1200guy

"Given the last statement you made, your "signature", what the fuuuu are you talking about?"

LOL.. could you re-phrase that question?

I'm not sure what you mean... but what I was saying, is that if the womans husband doesn't want to deny paternity, this guy doesn't have to worry about this issue. The reason is the couple are married, the husband is on the birth certificate, and is considered the father. Get it?

Now... what about my signature?

Also I would wait until at least noon before doing any sort of mind altering drugs. LOL ;)

nextwife

Makes sense to me. His wife left him, moved in with a guy, got pregnant, put hubby's name on BC, they got back together, but sh'e still talking to the guy.

Her husband isn't sure they will stay together. He does not want the CS for this kid to be HIS problem if they break up again. He wants the biofather to be on the hook if there is ever a CS situation. So he wants to establish the boifather's name if not him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">