• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification of Child custody order TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChrisWmos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

the order says that she (the custodial parent) has not geographical restrictions.
I would like to have this changed so that she is restricted to the surrounding counties.

The original order was drafted about 4 years ago. She got married about 3 years ago and her new husband is wanting to move to Missouri (because they are both from colder parts of the map and want to live there again, but her family is all in Texas now) OR rejoin the military.

I am not behind in child support. I see my girls every time I am supposed to and sometimes even more. My family lives here and they also see my girls almost every time I have them. My Ex's family also lives here and they are ALWAYS around them

I have a very good relationship with my ex. She knows I am wanting to do this and of course is not happy about it but her and her husband completely understand. Of course they will not simply agree to stay here so I need the courts to make a ruling.

My question is, is this something that I could do with out a lawyer? I don't really have the 2500-4k that all the lawyers are telling me they want to take this case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

the order says that she (the custodial parent) has not geographical restrictions.
I would like to have this changed so that she is restricted to the surrounding counties.

The original order was drafted about 4 years ago. She got married about 3 years ago and her new husband is wanting to move to Missouri OR rejoin the military.

I am not behind in child support. I see my girls every time I am supposed to and sometimes even more. My family lives here and they also see my girls almost every time I have them. My Ex's family also lives here and they are ALWAYS around them

I have a very good relationship with my ex. She knows I am wanting to do this and of course is not happy about it but her and her husband completely understand. Of course they will not simply agree to stay here so I need the courts to make a ruling.

My question is, is this something that I could do with out a lawyer? I don't really have the 2500-4k that all the lawyers are telling me they want to take this case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You will not be able to prevent Mom from relocating. You may, however, be able to prevent her from relocating the children without your consent (or the court's consent).

On a practical level there may be little you can do until she actually does want to move - in which case you'll have your day in court where you'll be able to state your case.

Proserpina

that was another question... can I even try to modify the order since she isn't currently planning a move.

Yes, you can absolutely try, and you can do this without an attorney - but, you would usually need a change of circumstance to modify the current order.

LdiJ

Yes, you can absolutely try, and you can do this without an attorney - but, you would usually need a change of circumstance to modify the current order.
I will even take it one step further. Even if you get the restrictions written into the order now, she could STILL file a petition in court asking for permission to relocate with the children, if and when she wants to relocate.

Therefore its kind of a wasted effort now. Either you spend the money now, and then spend it again when/if she wants to relocate, or, you wait and spend the money once, when/if she wants to relocate.

Just start saving now, so that you have a war chest ready when the time comes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">