• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification of child support and visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shauncook

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was looking online and noticed a petition to appear in court, however, I was not properly notified by the courts by a certified letter or being served. What action do I need to take if any? Is it true that under Fl law you have to be served to appear in court?
Please advise...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was looking online and noticed a petition to appear in court, however, I was not properly notified by the courts by a certified letter or being served. What action do I need to take if any? Is it true that under Fl law you have to be served to appear in court?
Please advise...
What made you look to see about court?
What type of hearing is it?
For when is it scheduled?

shauncook

What made you look to see about court?
What type of hearing is it?
For when is it scheduled?
I was just curious and looked on lee clerk court cases
It is a hearing to dismiss my petition I filed for modification of child support/visitation rights.
it is scheduled for 2 weeks, however I never was properly notified from the courts...

thanks

LdiJ

I was just curious and looked on lee clerk court cases
It is a hearing to dismiss my petition I filed for modification of child support/visitation rights.
it is scheduled for 2 weeks, however I never was properly notified from the courts...

thanks
Since you know about it, and you obviously do not want your petition to be dismissed, then you need to show up for the hearing and advise the judge that you were never served...that you only found out about it online.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wonder if this is an administrative matter that wouldn't generate a service requirement - something like the OP missed a deadline for matters dealing with a petition that s/he filed...?

Proserpina

So to summarize:

Nothing interesting happened, you both attend the hearing, you both say your piece and go on from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">