• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification of Custody due to neglect..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pctiger

state: n.h.
I am getting ready to file for modification of custody based on neglect. I have never been able to pay full child support but have paid 100.00 less to keep form bouncing checks. In the past I did miss payments and never caught up. I need to know if this will have a big impacted on the judgment ? My children do want to come and live with me but I am afraid that this past problem of not being able to pay the full order of support will keep this from happening.

Ambr

why have you never asked to modify the support order if it was too much?

i know that this doesn't really help.

you won't look good, but you won't look bad.

i mean best thing would be if you could go into court and say i pay my support on time and in full, i even pay extras for stuff my kids want to do.

but as long as you pay regular, pay everything that you can, pay extra payments to try and catch up the back support and put everything into it. it will look better than if you did not pay at all.

a problem that i can see with this, the ex can use the fact that it is not current and that you don't pay the full amount to her advantage. she can say that your desire to change the custody is because of the support amount. if she can make a convincing arguement then you could be in trouble.

how old are the kids? old enough that they could talk with the judge and let their preference be known?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">