• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modifying Custody in Oklahoma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PhD2Be1999

I live in Oklahoma and my ex is in Texas where he moved to several years ago. Our daughter is now 11 1/2 years old and does not want to spend the smmers with her dad. Our agreement says 8 weeks in the summer but she only wants to stay for a month. Th last few times it has been awful when she goes and she comes back in tears and calls everyday from there crying. I was even told by the school counselor to change it if I can. I don't think there is a set age in OK for changing visitation. The one attorney I spoke with said my chances would be slim at best because he doesn't see her regularly throughout the year, but he is the one who decided to move away saying "she will have to get over it". If this is possible, what cost are we looking at...is there a chance that it could be split between us?
Thanks you,
Kimberly

H

Heather Young

You can always seek a modification of visitation. But that will not be easy to do. First start documenting the episodes with her upset and seek counseling for her. At 12 a lot of places give the kids the right to voice an opinion. You would have to check with your county. I would suggest that you talk to your child and find out why it is so traumatic for her to visit and address that. Good luck also have you addressed the idea of a change with him??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">