• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom tried to commit suicide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P McC

What is the name of your state? Michigan. My daughter in law had to be hospitalized when she tried to kill herself, will this help my son in their divorce now and the custady to come?

P McC

suicide

She did this about 3-4 weeks ago and spent a week in the hospital, but will not follow up with a counselor.

P McC

suicide

He did have a fling with the neighbor, it did not become intimate until after the wife kicked him out of the house. She is now moving but took everything with her, including birthday gifts from me to him. How much is she entitled to?

P McC

suicide

My son and daughter in law have been married for 4 1/2 years, they have a 15 month old. They moved to florida for awhile and we heard rumors of cheating about both of them. They both deny any wrong doing other than attraction. They moved back to michigan and into my house for a few months. Sarah told me she was with Brian because she didn't have to work. I know they have been having huge arguments for the last couple of years because of money and house cleaning issues. They seperated for a few months the end of last year, they got back together when her father did not want her in his house anymore. (he had just got remarried) They continued fighting and then Brian and the next door neighbor started a friendship. Sarah kicked Brian out of the house and beat up the neighbor, thats when the new relationship got intimate.The next week Sarah tried to kill herself and spent a week in the hospital. She has since stopped taking her medications and never followed up with the counselor the hospital set her up with. ( this all happened in the last 5-6 weeks ). Sarah now has an apartment which she furnished with everything that Brian and she had, even the birthday gifts that I had given him over the years. She has a guy she is having an intimate relationship with but still finding Brian and is very physically violent. The police have been called to remove her from several locations where she would find brian, such as my house, his dads house, their rental house. The police say she can come and go in the house as long as she likes. He can't stay there because he has nothing (she even took the toilet paper ) He has filed for a PPO and hopes to refurnish and move back in, he is staying at his dads now. What can he do to stop her from coming in a taking whatever he gets now, my mom is giving him a couch and other people are giving him misc. items. I have maintained a relationship with her because of the baby but find myself too angry to speak to her now that she took everything and trashed the house,(sugar poured on the carpet, his clothes flung all over the room and broken glasses in the sink,)this all happened last week. Please help me to advise him what to do, she also refuses to let him see the baby. Does she have the right to keep him from seeing the baby, can she just come and go in the house like the police say ( she is not on the lease ) is michigan a no fault divorce state or can he get in trouble for cheating?
Thank you.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think both of them need to speak with attorneys. Until there is an order - she has no obligation to provide any type of visitation. If they are both on the lease, she has the same rights as he does as far as entering the house. It's not a clear-cut situation at all. While her suicide attempt isn't good for her chances at custody, a good lawyer could spin it that it was from despair at finding out that her husband was havign an affair. You also don't KNOW whether she's taking her meds or seeing a counselor (might be someone other than the hospital suggested) as she doesn't have any obligation to tell you (or if she tells you something, to tell you the truth).

I feel sorry for the baby - it doesn't sound as either of these parents are really in a place to consider his/her best interests.

LdiJ

P McC said:
can someone help me please....I don't know what to do about the above situation
The fact that she was hospitalized due to a suicide attempt in not in her favor....not at all...It will definitely impact things. However the overall circumstances don't particularly help your son either....and could in fact make it look like her actions were a result of his actions.

Certainly neither of them are putting the baby first.

I would honestly recommend that you take a step back and let them solve their own problems. It sounds to me like they both have some serious growing up to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">