• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Evfd1336

My husband and I are going through a custody battle with his ex wife. We have custody of the child. We paid out lawyers $2000 retainer court cost during all the proceedings went up to nearly $7000 we are paying $400 a month and hasn't missed a payment. Now that my husband has filed for child support the attorneys are telling us that they will not show up in court with us unless we pay another $2000 we have paid the bill down to $3400 what do we do? The attorney says that won't do anything for us until we pay another retainer or pay the bill completely off

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
My husband and I are going through a custody battle with his ex wife. We have custody of the child. We paid out lawyers $2000 retainer court cost during all the proceedings went up to nearly $7000 we are paying $400 a month and hasn't missed a payment. Now that my husband has filed for child support the attorneys are telling us that they will not show up in court with us unless we pay another $2000 we have paid the bill down to $3400 what do we do? The attorney says that won't do anything for us until we pay another retainer or pay the bill completely off
Guess what? Your husband's legal problems with his ex are not YOUR legal problems. :cool:
Husband can pay the attorneys what is owed for HIS legal problems.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No, your husband is going through a custody battle. HE has custody of HIS children.

And does it really shock you that the lawyers want to get paid for the work they have already done before doing more work? Are you okay with your job paying you in installments?

Proserpina

Well, you actually answered your own question.

He doesn't, however, need an attorney to file for child support. Local numbers will be in the phone book.

call the local child support office for the local courts if the child is on Medicaid they will file for it for free for you or charge a small fee

Evfd1336

No, I and MY HUSBAND are the legal guardians of her per the court documents. And they're wanting another retainer to go back to court when the case is still open. I asked for help bc I don't understand all of it but if smart remarks is all I'm going to get then don't even reply thanks.

Evfd1336

We tried to go through the county we live in to file for child support and they informed us since the case is still open we would have to file in the county where it's open this is the first time we've ever had to deal with something like this and I'm confused on what can and can't be done

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
No, I and MY HUSBAND are the legal guardians of her per the court documents. And they're wanting another retainer to go back to court when the case is still open. I asked for help bc I don't understand all of it but if smart remarks is all I'm going to get then don't even reply thanks.
Of course you are. I'm totally sure that's how that went down. :cool:

We tried to go through the county we live in to file for child support and they informed us since the case is still open we would have to file in the county where it's open this is the first time we've ever had to deal with something like this and I'm confused on what can and can't be done
Then husband needs to ask his attorneys when he finishes paying them. :cool:

some people on this sight can get rude if it's not the bio parent posting but they how ever know there stuff what state and county is the case in? If you go to the office in that county for child support they should be able to help you I did this myself to save money when I divorces. If that don't work file for child support pro se should not be to hard if you need a hand I can try to find pro se forms for your state and the county if you provide that information but I am almost certain the child support office will handle this for you. But it is up to your husband to do the work. if your husband decides to go prose he will have to ask the current attorney to formally withdraw from the case and send a copy of the same notice to the court as well.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Oh, I missed that it was easier to delete the question regarding the relevant state than to answer it. The county told you what to do - address the issue in the county with the open case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
some people on this sight can get rude if it's not the bio parent posting
Hogwash. We just prefer that a legally involved person post. This OP (despite her grammatically incorrect protestation to the contrary) is not a legally involved party. [/QUOTE]

mommyanme

I'd like to know the state myself, so that way every LEGAL parent can move from there since it seems they make LEGAL strangers custodial parents with the LEGAL parent. So I guess the header of those papers says, Dad and StepMom vs. Mom....:rolleyes:
I hope Mom appeals that decision since step mom isn't a legal party to custody.

Proserpina

some people on this sight can get rude if it's not the bio parent posting but they how ever know there stuff what state and county is the case in? If you go to the office in that county for child support they should be able to help you I did this myself to save money when I divorces. If that don't work file for child support pro se should not be to hard if you need a hand I can try to find pro se forms for your state and the county if you provide that information but I am almost certain the child support office will handle this for you. But it is up to your husband to do the work. if your husband decides to go prose he will have to ask the current attorney to formally withdraw from the case and send a copy of the same notice to the court as well.

It's not bio parent; just "parent" is fine, unless you're actually intending to exclude adoptive parents.

(Oh no. I wasn't rude, was I? We can't have that)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">