• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother trying to move child accross country :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1GoodDad

My daughter was born in 06. Lived her since.

I have been a part of her life since birth.

Mother and I split in late 06 and reconciled in 07 for a few months (decided my daughter needed two happy homes and not one bad one)

08 I legitimized my daughter and had visitation put on paper. every other weekend and wed.. the basic non-custodial stuff. Joint legal custody (mom was primary physical)

I called to see if I could bring an easter basket or get her a few in 2010, and was told my daughter was at a babysitters all weekend because she would have more fun with "religious" people. I immediately went and picked her up. She should be with family on such an important day.

I lawyered up, documented the time I was with her while mom was working "voluntarily" more than she had to, going out, etc.

I had my daughter almost 50% of the time in 2010 at this point. Lawyer and I went to mediation in March, she wouldn't budge on joint physical which is what I wanted and reduction in cs based on my time with my daughter and various other lil things that weren't going well with old order.. more time on paper because once she was served she only allowed me minimum.

Since mediation I have had her 60% of the time due to my agreed more time and her out running the streets, vacations, etc.

Now in the middle of our temp order, she gives me a one line notice that she is giving me 30 day notice that she and my daughter are moving to cali. This is not work related because she hasn't had a job due to firing since Oct.

My lawyer advised me to have emergency hearing to stop the move and consider filing for change of custody.

Do you think that is viable. I am upset thinking about the fact that in 30 days my daughter will move across country. I have expressed to her that I did not agree with move at all. She can go, but I don't want my daughter to leave her roots, family, etc.

nanu156

yes. Listen to your atty. Get an emergency hearing (like the atty said, atty has to ask for it anyway)

What state are you in?

Since you have an atty he would be best to answer your questions as he is already familiar with your case and the laws of your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">