• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion for a change of Venue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maggie14

What is the name of your state? North Carolina-I just recently filed a change of venue motion at the court house and I need to know if I was suppose to get a a hearing date too while I was there. My ex is suing me for full cutody of my daughter. I'm representing myself.

VeronicaGia

maggie14 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina-I just recently filed a change of venue motion at the court house and I need to know if I was suppose to get a a hearing date too while I was there. My ex is suing me for full cutody of my daughter. I'm representing myself.
You don't give nearly enough info for anyone to help. Is the other parent still in the jurisdiction you are trying to get out of? If so, this won't work.

Grace_Adler

I only live 30 minutes from you. I just thought that was kind of ironic. LOL

Anyway, I think you maybe you should have received a court date. You may have to calendar the court date yourself. On Tuesday, go by the courthouse and tell them what you did and ask if you were supposed to file for a courtdate.

maggie14

Motion for change of Venue

Thank you for answering. I will be representing myself. I have had full custody of my daughter all her life. My ex is suing me for full custody. My case is very complicated no lawyer would not even look at it for no less that $3000.00 up front not to mention that the charges are if the case is drag out. I have another child by a prevoius marriage that I have to think about too. I cannot used my rent or light bill money to pay a pricey lawyer. I have informed his lawyer that I want mediation but she has not gotten back with me on this. The court case is scheduled for the 12th in Duplin Co. Aren't we suppose to get medition before we go to court?

maggie14

Motion for change on Venue

I just moved here in June of 2004. The orginal orders and jurisdiction are from Duplin Co. But I have alot of withness from Wayne co. that I plan to subpeona in my defense. To require such a large no. of people to go all the way to Duplin co. would be a burden.

rmet4nzkx

You will have to keep your case in the county of jurisdiction for now since you have 2 cases there, your custody case and the ex parte case re the allegations of neglect which was continued. It is a little late to be considering a change of jurisdiction, something that should be done before not after filing for modificaiton. It sounds as if you need an attorney since he has one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">