• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion for change of venue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jules Chad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Never married, never lived together ( never even lived in the same town), paternity established, no visitation set up (yet), child support has been set up for a year or so.

Ex is taking me back to court, but court is set to take place in the county it was in for our first hearing (4 years ago). I filed a motion for a change of venue (no lawyer) and am still waiting to hear if it will be granted or denied.

I'm just wondering how judges usually decide on these things? My ex doesn't now, nor has she ever, lived in the county where we had our last hearing. My child and I used to live there but we moved to this county (less than 50 miles away, which was approved by my ex) almost 4 years ago. I'm just wondering what I should expect and how long it usually takes a judge to make this decision?

Thank you,
Chad

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Never married, never lived together ( never even lived in the same town), paternity established, no visitation set up (yet), child support has been set up for a year or so.

Ex is taking me back to court, but court is set to take place in the county it was in for our first hearing (4 years ago). I filed a motion for a change of venue (no lawyer) and am still waiting to hear if it will be granted or denied.

I'm just wondering how judges usually decide on these things? My ex doesn't now, nor has she ever, lived in the county where we had our last hearing. My child and I used to live there but we moved to this county (less than 50 miles away, which was approved by my ex) almost 4 years ago. I'm just wondering what I should expect and how long it usually takes a judge to make this decision?

Thank you,
Chad
Child support was set administratively or through a court proceeding? How was custody decided? How did you get custody?

Jules Chad

I'm not really sure, we had a hearing to establish custody and the child support was set up then too but not by the judge. We went into another room where a lady asked each of us our income and such. So I assume it was through court since it was on the same day/same place? I was given custody based on the fact that Mother left the child with me when she was 4 days old and didn't come around again until a year later. Mother didn't fight me getting custody, she was fine with me having sole custody, if that makes any difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">