• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion for Default

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rnstitch1971

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Sorry if I'm repeating anything, I've tried to find my answer and haven't found it.

I filed for a Motion to Default on a Custody/Visition change. My ex is in jail and did not respond to the papers I had served on him the day before he was arrested. What is the next step and what are the chances that my request for a change in custody will go my way with him being in jail? (He is in jail for violation of probation on a third degree felony charge for theft.)

Proserpina

Sorry if I'm repeating anything, I've tried to find my answer and haven't found it.

I filed for a Motion to Default on a Custody/Visition change. My ex is in jail and did not respond to the papers I had served on him the day before he was arrested. What is the next step and what are the chances that my request for a change in custody will go my way with him being in jail? (He is in jail for violation of probation on a third degree felony charge for theft.)

How long will he be incarcerated?

What's the change in custody you're requesting?

(It may or may not make a difference, but details are good to have!)

rnstitch1971

I am seeking sole custody with supervised visitation due to his past criminal history. I am unsure of how long he will be incarcerated because he is currently awaiting to be seen by the assigned judge for a VOP hearing which is scheduled for the 23rd of July. After that is up in the air.

Gracie3787

When you filed the motion for default the court clerk should have checked to make sure that there was a return of service filed and that the 20 days had elapsed, and then issued a default.

Why wasn't that done?
Did you take the motion in in person, or did you mail it in?

Either way, check with the court clerk's office to find out what to do next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">