• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to Modify Child Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poppabear

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Well, as I expected, my ex has had me served with a motion to modify our visitation schedule. She told me she would be doing so a few weeks ago, as her grandparents have decided to pay her legal bill (again).

Quick background: I am legally established dad. Mom has supervised visitation due to her BF abusing DD. Child services stepped in and I received and emergency order. Mom and I agreed to our current order in mediation and it was approved by a judge.

Now mom and same BF that abused daughter have their own child. Mom was told that if she did not cooperate with CPS, the newborn would be placed in foster care. So mom and BF completed counseling and parenting classes per CPS and BF is now allowed unsupervised visits with his children, who had been removed from his home. He was never convicted of abuse, as the DA stated that since my 16-month-old daughter could not verbalize what happened, they had no evidence (other than my daughter being hospitalized several times and suffering injuries that would have require severe force to be used :mad: ).

Now, from what I can tell, my ex is not seeking to modify the visitation schedule as stated in the plan for when her time is no longer supervised, but rather the terms for unsupervised visitation. Our order states that she is to seek counseling, take parenting classes and have no contact with her BF, whom she admitted she saw abuse our DD (though she later recanted). She is to send proof of completing her requirements to my lawyer, then petition for unsupervised visits.

Well, since agreeing to the order 1 1/2 years ago, she has had a child with her BF and generally made it clear that she is willing to give up an active role in our daughter's life to keep sleeping with this guy. Based on this new motion, it seems that she thinks because BF was not convicted and they have worked with CPS, that she can now have unsupervised visits, which entails daughter having overnights in the home of mom and her BF.

I have an appointment with my lawyer in 2 weeks, but am wondering if a judge would even consider granting unsupervised visitation now. It states very clearly in our order "based on a pattern of abuse, DD shall not be in the presence of BF, and the court shall be satisfied that Mom is not in contact with BF before granting unsupervised parenting time to Mom." So now she is seeking to modify the requirements to receiving unsupervised visitation because the BF is "no longer a threat" now that he took a parenting class and counseling and "a non-contact order at this point is impossible, as Mom and BF are seeking to actively co-parent New Baby."

Sorry that is so long and I hope I didn't make it too confusing.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TinkerBelleLuvr

How old is the child now? Three?

And she's going to tell the judge that she basically disobeyed his order and now wants him to change the terms to her terms? I would like to be a fly on the wall for that one.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Well, as I expected, my ex has had me served with a motion to modify our visitation schedule. She told me she would be doing so a few weeks ago, as her grandparents have decided to pay her legal bill (again).

Quick background: I am legally established dad. Mom has supervised visitation due to her BF abusing DD. Child services stepped in and I received and emergency order. Mom and I agreed to our current order in mediation and it was approved by a judge.

Now mom and same BF that abused daughter have their own child. Mom was told that if she did not cooperate with CPS, the newborn would be placed in foster care. So mom and BF completed counseling and parenting classes per CPS and BF is now allowed unsupervised visits with his children, who had been removed from his home. He was never convicted of abuse, as the DA stated that since my 16-month-old daughter could not verbalize what happened, they had no evidence (other than my daughter being hospitalized several times and suffering injuries that would have require severe force to be used :mad: ).

Now, from what I can tell, my ex is not seeking to modify the visitation schedule as stated in the plan for when her time is no longer supervised, but rather the terms for unsupervised visitation. Our order states that she is to seek counseling, take parenting classes and have no contact with her BF, whom she admitted she saw abuse our DD (though she later recanted). She is to send proof of completing her requirements to my lawyer, then petition for unsupervised visits.

Well, since agreeing to the order 1 1/2 years ago, she has had a child with her BF and generally made it clear that she is willing to give up an active role in our daughter's life to keep sleeping with this guy. Based on this new motion, it seems that she thinks because BF was not convicted and they have worked with CPS, that she can now have unsupervised visits, which entails daughter having overnights in the home of mom and her BF.

I have an appointment with my lawyer in 2 weeks, but am wondering if a judge would even consider granting unsupervised visitation now. It states very clearly in our order "based on a pattern of abuse, DD shall not be in the presence of BF, and the court shall be satisfied that Mom is not in contact with BF before granting unsupervised parenting time to Mom." So now she is seeking to modify the requirements to receiving unsupervised visitation because the BF is "no longer a threat" now that he took a parenting class and counseling and "a non-contact order at this point is impossible, as Mom and BF are seeking to actively co-parent New Baby."

Sorry that is so long and I hope I didn't make it too confusing.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
She is going to make the argument that both she and the BF jumped through all the CPS hoops and that CPS is now satisfied that they can keep the new child they have together and that its safe for the BF to be around children.

The restrictions in your custody orders were not mandated by a judge or CPS, but rather were an agreement between you and mom (or at least that is what it sounds like from reading your post).

Therefore its going to be up to a judge to decide whether or not the restrictions are still reasonable.

Personally, I think that mom is pond scum for staying with, and having another child with a man who abused her other child and should be stuck on supervised visitation forever. However, I am not your judge and my personal opinion of mom doesn't count.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">