• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motion to modify custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SABRINADEE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Is a motion to modify custody denied if I owe back child support? UT

I

interex83

If you're wanting to seek custody, but the other party doesn't agree to the modification then you will have to prove to the court that there is a "change in circumstance". This would be a reason you believe the court should change custody to you, from the other parent. If you can prove a change in circumstance, such as abandonment, child neglect, danger to the other parent, or child or siblings then you have good reason to request a modification, and your arrears would not be a reason to stop, or deny that.

Custody is in the best interest of the child.

I am already involved in a custody issue, and I am behind about $2000 but pay $30 extra a month on top of what my court order payment is, towards the arrears, and my attorney has told me that is not cause for denial.

Just Blue

If you're wanting to seek custody, but the other party doesn't agree to the modification then you will have to prove to the court that there is a "change in circumstance". This would be a reason you believe the court should change custody to you, from the other parent. If you can prove a change in circumstance, such as abandonment, child neglect, danger to the other parent, or child or siblings then you have good reason to request a modification, and your arrears would not be a reason to stop, or deny that.

I am already involved in a custody issue, and I am behind about $2000 but pay $30 extra a month on top of what my court order payment is, towards the arrears, and my attorney has told me that is not cause for denial.
What does advice given by your attorney in IL have to do with a MODIFICATION of custody in UT??

The OP NEVER said s/he was attempting to get a custody change...S/he is going for a modification, which DOES NOT REQUIRE a COC.

Well... DUH!:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">