• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motion or pleading?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GILEADFARMS

What is the name of your state?Massachussetts
Hi. I had previously posted about moving out of state and someone refered me to the law library in MA. The librarian forwarded me a couple of example of case law, but I'm a little unclear. It says the following:

Once the Probate and Family Court takes jurisdiction over a minor child through entry of a custody order, the child may not be removed from the Commonwealth except as provided by statute. A minor child of divorced parents who is a native of, or has resided five years within this Commonwealth, and over whose custody and maintenance the Probate and Family Court has jurisdiction, will not, if of suitable age to signify his or hers consent, be removed out of this Commonwealth without such consent, or if under that age, without the consent of both parents, unless the court, upon cause shown, otherwise orders. [ALM CL ch 208 § 30]

Does that mean that is my ex husband agrees to the move, that I do not need to go to court? <he has verbally agreed to the move> And what should I have put in writing showing his agreement? He has agreed, so do I still need to file with the court? And if so, do I file a "petition for releif" or a motion against the current docket number? <the divorce is final> Thank you for your assistance, Jennifer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">