• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion for Psychological or Psychiatric Evaluation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racingfan1

What is the name of your state (AK)

Hi. Two weeks ago, a custody evaluator completed a court ordered (Charles County) Custody Evaluation for our case. (1 son, aged 11 years old, we've been divorced since he was 3, his Dad presently has primary custody, I recently filed for primary custody and as part of that request, asked for a full updated custody eval based on some of my concerns that Dad was brainwashing our son against me.
I truly am concerned about Dad's mental health, as it obviously affects our son.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What more do you want? YOu want him diagnosed with things? The test did not diagnose him and yet it was administered by a psychiatrist correct? What is your background that you believe you know more than those that administered the test? Or is it just because you and dad are fighting for custody and you don't want junior going with dad?

LdiJ

What more do you want? YOu want him diagnosed with things? The test did not diagnose him and yet it was administered by a psychiatrist correct? What is your background that you believe you know more than those that administered the test? Or is it just because you and dad are fighting for custody and you don't want junior going with dad?
She asked if she could request that a more in depth evaluation be done rather than the standard multiple choice testing. I don't think that's a trivial or frivolous question considering the outcome of the original evaluation...and considering that dad is being treated for depression and that alienation appears to be happening.

I don't know the answer to her question, but if someone does, I hope that they answer her.

racingfan1

Good afternoon, and thank you for responding.

Last edited:

racingfan1

She asked if she could request that a more in depth evaluation be done rather than the standard multiple choice testing. I don't think that's a trivial or frivolous question considering the outcome of the original evaluation...and considering that dad is being treated for depression and that alienation appears to be happening.

I don't know the answer to her question, but if someone does, I hope that they answer her.
Thank you for reading and comprehending my post, and yes, you are correct in interpreting my exact concerns.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well psychologist would know if something more should be recommended. What recommendations did the evaluator give?

wileybunch

What do the evaluator's comments mean about Dad manipulating outcome of test? Is that the entirety of the evaluator's report? How would anyone be able to use those statements made one way or another since they are vague?

What kinds of alienating things is Dad doing?
What tactic in their evaluation do you think would surface those alienating behaviors?

People have suggested DH have his ex evaluated, but I'm wondering how they would surface some behaviors because the parent doing the alienating does specific behaviors that they only do with regard to the other parent and they know better than to tip their hand about what they are doing when they have someone in authority looking over them.

Ronin

Psychological evaluations are considered highly intrusive and require justification for these to be granted in the first place.
Psych evals rarely go any further than the home studies, interviews with parties and collaterals, multiple choice questions, ink blots, MMPI, and such... which appears to have been done in this case. There is often a natural resistance by parties to such testing, and someone being accused of trying to influence the outcome is not unexpected. Its hard to conceive of anyone not trying to influence the outcome in their direction, and its often a matter of degree between the parties. Even so, there is usually enough information for the evaluator to make a recommendation based upon the bigger picture of the entire evaluation.

The evaluator found no emotional problems other that the known depression, and only suggested parts of the testing may not be valid and there may be other emotional problems, but was apparently unwilling to take a position stronger than that.

Any evaluation deeper than what was done here would pretty much require someone to be committed. And based upon what was found here, that ain't gonna happen.

While it was not stated here, it appears the evaluator did not recommend a change in custody, which is likely the reason for the interest in further testing.

Last edited:

racingfan1

Psychological evaluations are considered highly intrusive and require justification for these to be granted in the first place.
Psych evals rarely go any further than the home studies, interviews with parties and collaterals, multiple choice questions, ink blots, MMPI, and such... which appears to have been done in this case. There is often a natural resistance by parties to such testing, and someone being accused of trying to influence the outcome is not unexpected. Its hard to conceive of anyone not trying to influence the outcome in their direction, and its often a matter of degree between the parties. Even so, there is usually enough information for the evaluator to make a recommendation based upon the bigger picture of the entire evaluation.

The evaluator found no emotional problems other that the known depression, and only suggested parts of the testing may not be valid and there may be other emotional problems, but was apparently unwilling to take a position stronger than that.

Any evaluation deeper than what was done here would pretty much require someone to be committed. And based upon what was found here, that ain't gonna happen.

While it was not stated here, it appears the evaluator did not recommend a change in custody, which is likely the reason for the interest in further testing.

Thank you for letting me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

Ronin

I don't think anyone suggested you should just drop this, since there is not enough information to make such a recommendation. This is a call only you and your attorney can make.

If your attorney believes the psych eval is flawed or incomplete, then the attorney can have the evaluator take the stand in order to challenge or question any part of the evaluation. However, this is a slippery slope that can sometimes backfire, especially if the evaluator is experienced in the courtroom. Licensed psychologists often charge several hundred dollars an hour to testify at court hearings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">