• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving to a new county

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zendentity

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. Do I need written permission from my child's father to move out of the county? If it matters, we were never married.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. Do I need written permission from my child's father to move out of the county? If it matters, we were never married.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
What does your court order state about moving? You will need to do a proper notification to dad (and the court). How far are you moving?

Zephyr

Are there any court orders regarding the child at all?

if no ----> yes you can move (keep in mind that the other parent could challenge the move, but legally you can move)

if yes-----> do your court orders address moving at all?

if no----> look up California move away notification guidelines and provide the other parent notice as outlined

if yes---> follow the directions laid out in your court order

zendentity

Thank you for the advice! There is no court order and just to be clear, we were never married. We did go to a mediator but moving out of the county was not discussed. I would be moving from Los Angeles to Encinitas, San Diego (about an hour and 45 minute drive) So, I don't need written permission from our child's father, correct?

LdiJ

Thank you for the advice! There is no court order and just to be clear, we were never married. We did go to a mediator but moving out of the county was not discussed. I would be moving from Los Angeles to Encinitas, San Diego (about an hour and 45 minute drive) So, I don't need written permission from our child's father, correct?
Not necessarily. What is the current, court ordered parenting schedule?

zendentity

moving to a new county

Per the meeting with the mediator here are the times:

The schedule for the father is Tues. & Thurs. 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. & Sat. 10:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. I have the child all the rest of the time. Holidays are split by year or we share the day.

WittyUserName

What does Dad think? That's a really big drive for the 4 hour T/Th visitation. It would be one thing if the move would leave his visitation unaffected; but how is this going to work? Are you going to drive the kids to/from Dad?

LdiJ

Per the meeting with the mediator here are the times:

The schedule for the father is Tues. & Thurs. 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. & Sat. 10:30 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. I have the child all the rest of the time. Holidays are split by year or we share the day.
Well then, you cannot move without disrupting the parenting schedule, so you need to take it to court.

zendentity

moving to a new county

Can I schedule another mediation hearing to fix the schedule to suit both of us or do I have to go to court? If possible, I'd like to stay as far away from court as possible.

nextwife

And that Hour and 45 minutes can be QUITE a bit longer, depending on time of day. I've sat in traffic between LA and San Diego while visiting out there on several occassions.

Does Dad want involvement in his child's school, school activites?

meanyjack

Can I schedule another mediation hearing to fix the schedule to suit both of us or do I have to go to court? If possible, I'd like to stay as far away from court as possible.
You will need to talk to the other parent about this. Unless you are willing to pay for all additional transportation costs, then you should expect him to object (unless he's a rug). And rightfully so. It doesn't matter the reason, YOU are creating the additional distance.

You will also need to re-visit the parenting plan re: his times with the child. He doesn't have to agree to anything if he doesn't like it. Then, you will have to take it to court to prove TO THE COURT that the move is in the best interest of the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">