• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acn124

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a 2 year old daughter. Her father and I were never married. We separated the day she came home from the hospital. He did sign her birth certificate. He became abusive to me and I obtained an order of protection. They gave him supervised visits, but after only a few months of one hour per week, his visits were terminated due to him failing to show up on multiple occasions. That was a year ago. I've not seen or heard anything from him since. He pays no child support, doesn't work, and has never helped me or been in her life.
I have the opportunity to move out of state to be closer to family and have more employment opportunity (I have 3 other children to care for). I sent a 60 day notice to him of my intent to move and 2 days before the 60 days expired he filed a visitation request with the court.
I have a job lined up and a house. I have an attorney who has suggested a settlement conference with him.

My questions is
1. Do I have to agree to anything because he has never been in her life? He does not know her and is only trying to make things hard for me

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I have a 2 year old daughter. Her father and I were never married. We separated the day she came home from the hospital. He did sign her birth certificate. He became abusive to me and I obtained an order of protection. They gave him supervised visits, but after only a few months of one hour per week, his visits were terminated due to him failing to show up on multiple occasions. That was a year ago. I've not seen or heard anything from him since. He pays no child support, doesn't work, and has never helped me or been in her life.
I have the opportunity to move out of state to be closer to family and have more employment opportunity (I have 3 other children to care for). I sent a 60 day notice to him of my intent to move and 2 days before the 60 days expired he filed a visitation request with the court.
I have a job lined up and a house. I have an attorney who has suggested a settlement conference with him.

My questions is
1. Do I have to agree to anything because he has never been in her life? He does not know her and is only trying to make things hard for me
He has a right to visitation/custody as the biological and legal father. Why do you doubt your attorney's advice?

Proserpina

My questions is
No, you don't have to agree with anything. Be aware though, that the court will likely make the decision for you and he'll get visitation no matter what.

With that said, your attorney is giving you advice; you should listen to your attorney. We cannot and should not second guess your attorney who seems to be trying to save you hassle and money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">