• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving out of state - NC laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jodinick

Ex wife and I live in North Carolina. She is threatening to move our 2 children to South Carolina. She has physical custody and joint legal. I get kids every other weekend.
Can i stop her from taking kids to SC? How?

T

TheStoryOfJory

i am not familiar with N.C. laws, however i do know that in most states the courts require that the move is in the best interest of the child. Im not sure what reasons she has for moving, but im assuming its nothing of great importance. She must have the courts approval and depending on your states laws, your approval. She must file with the courts to move and give proof its in the best interest of the child, the courts will give you due notice to contest the move. Their may be much more to it,(you have joint legal custody, and other laws may apply) Check you states laws and speak with an lawyer. good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">