• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Out of State, Need to know laws!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pokesfan

What is the name of your state? OK

I currently live in Oklahoma, but we are relocating to Montana. I have been seperated for 4 years, divorced for 3. I have 2 children ages 8 & 6. My childrens father lives 4 miles from us at the present time and has not had any contact with them in 6 months. He has 2 contempt orders and a felony count for failure to pay child support and hasnt paid anything to help them in over a year. He is in and out of jail for drugs and various other things and is currently facing a 5 yr sentance. There is nothing in my divorce papers about moving out of state. I need to know what steps I need to take to be able to move. I would also like any information on terminating parental rights.

LdiJ

pokesfan said:

I currently live in Oklahoma, but we are relocating to Montana. I have been seperated for 4 years, divorced for 3. I have 2 children ages 8 & 6. My childrens father lives 4 miles from us at the present time and has not had any contact with them in 6 months. He has 2 contempt orders and a felony count for failure to pay child support and hasnt paid anything to help them in over a year. He is in and out of jail for drugs and various other things and is currently facing a 5 yr sentance. There is nothing in my divorce papers about moving out of state. I need to know what steps I need to take to be able to move. I would also like any information on terminating parental rights.
Well....if dad is going to prison, you don't have to do anything. If he is not, then you need either his permission or the permission of the courts to move.

casa

pokesfan said:

He's probably avoiding visitations so he decreases his chances of getting arrested re; child support.

Wait for him to be actually sentenced. In the meantime, get copies of police reports so you have them. When he is sentenced, file notice of moving per OK guidelines for move-aways.

What is he being charged with? (It may be relevant)

casa

pokesfan said:
He is being charged with possession of marijuanna and felony omitting to provide for minor child.
When he gets sentenced, go ahead & file...you shouldn't have any problem considering the situation.

brisgirl825

You also requested info on TPR.
You will need to be married as a TPR is almost always done in conjunction with a step-parent adoption. You will need to be a resident of the state that you petition for TPR and be married for a certain length of time. Marriage length and residency requirements vary from state to state.
A consult with an atty, some of which will do for free on the initial consultation, will you give you the best idea if you would qualify for a TPR should your ex contest it. If he doesn't contest, there's no problem.

Here is OK's TPR laws
http://library.adoption.com/termination-of-parental-rights/grounds-for-termination-of-parental-rights-oklahoma/article/8638/1.html

Here's Montana's
http://library.adoption.com/termination-of-parental-rights/grounds-for-termination-of-parental-rights-montana/article/8588/1.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">