• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My chances with bias family courts.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NGoudy76

Registration is a requirement.

He has been designated as predator vs. an offender. I read in his release papers that he will be allowed to live minor children (bio& step) with the permission of his P.O.
I don't think speaking with his P.O. will do much with this matter.
DCF will also be involve with making this determination. ( per newly enacted Florida law).

Proserpina

He has been designated as predator vs. an offender. I read in his release papers that he will be allowed to live minor children (bio& step) with the permission of his P.O.
I don't think speaking with his P.O. will do much with this matter.
DCF will also be involve with making this determination. ( per newly enacted Florida law).

How in the world is a predator - who is a far more serious risk than a plain ol' offender - not being kept away from his ideal prey?!

That aside, family court does not necessary agree with what the state considers "appropriate".

aardvarc

And Florida won't mess around with this. When CPS gets a whif that the custodial parent is knowingly and willingly bringing a convicted child predator under her roof with the child, the child could be yanked out of there so fast that no one will even hear the knock on the door until the child is long gone. If this is Seminole County, it could happen same day (their CPS runs via the sheriff's office rather than through the state offices and they don't mess around). Regardless, CPS in ALL parts of FL acts faster and more aggressively on "failure to protect" cases than almost any other. They also can and will over-ride what some random probation officer thinks, if they have reason to do so.

However, DFS/CPS may not even HAVE the case yet, so... BEFORE bothering to do ANYTHING else, pick up the phone and report this set of circumstances to DFS at 800-962-2873. They will be able to check out his sex offender status and exact terms of release. If there IS any notation as part of his release that says he can't be around children, child protective services will make the decision about who lives there FOR mom. They can also initiate their own pleadings with the court on behalf of the child to appeal the terms of the probation or move for more drastic action (removal) to be taken in the best interest of the child, beyond the terms the criminal court has laid out for the defendant.

(As Prosperpina pointed out, orders regarding the defendant were put in place by the CRIMINAL court, but the CHILD, via the NCP and via CPS/DFS, can have protections implemented by the FAMILY court as well, making sure there are no "gaps" in protecting the child. Sometimes it just needs to be brought to their attention, as the family courts and the criminal courts are infamous for NOT communicating well with each other.)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">