• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my child wishes to move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ramkdds-6

What is the name of your state?Kansas
My daughter is 13 and wishes to change her place of residency to her dad, and mom is against it. She lived with dad for 8 years and wanted to try living with her mom. She has lived with her mom for 3 months and hates it there and wants to move back in with her dad. Was wondering how old the child has to be to choose where she wants to live and if she has to go on visitations? Can my daughter file a motion to change residential custody, or how do we change primary residency?
I am the childs father and the childs mother is having run ins with the law and is living with 2 males.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ramkdds-6 said:
What is the name of your state?Kansas
My daughter is 13 and wishes to change her place of residency to her dad, and mom is against it. She lived with dad for 8 years and wanted to try living with her mom. She has lived with her mom for 3 months and hates it there and wants to move back in with her dad. Was wondering how old the child has to be to choose where she wants to live and if she has to go on visitations? Can my daughter file a motion to change residential custody, or how do we change primary residency?

My response:

Wait a minute, wait a minute.

Who are YOU?

IAAL

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She has to be 18 to make that decision. So when she moved from Dad to Mom, was that done through the court? Or did y'all just come to an agreement?

To be honest, it sounds as though (considering her age) she's jerkin' both your chains. Whether it went through the court or Mom & Dad agreed to the change, kiddo should be made to understand that she has to live with it for a period of time to see if it really is going to work. Not change her mind when things get unpleasant. I'd make her stay for a minimum of 6 months, but likely a year. (Unless, of course, she is actually in danger.) But if she just doesn't like the way Mom does things - tough, kiddo. Deal with it.

VeronicaGia

Stealth brings up an excellent point. Was custody changed legally through the court or was this simply an agreement between the parents? If custody was changed legally through the court, the child stays where she is until custody is changed again. If this was a verbal agreement, and dad still has legal custody, dad should go pick up the child and be done with it. And the child needs to know that this will not happen again until the child is 18. This is precisely why children should not be allowed to make these decisions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">