• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Ex-Girlfriend Wants to Move to Another State w/ our Son. Please Help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tadeus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello, everyone. Here is my concern: My ex girlfriend and I separated 2 months ago; recently she has started seeing someone and they are planning on moving to Colorado. I live in the LOWER Southern part of Texas (McAllen) and I do not have the financial means to travel to Colorado regularly to see my son. Do I have any rights or say so in the matter? I don't want to lose my son and I want to continue being involved in his life. She has not made any attempt to contact me about the Colorado move (I found out because she messaged my father via Facebook). I would appreciate any advice, thank you all and have a good day.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello, everyone. Here is my concern: My ex girlfriend and I separated 2 months ago; recently she has started seeing someone and they are planning on moving to Colorado. I live in the LOWER Southern part of Texas (McAllen) and I do not have the financial means to travel to Colorado regularly to see my son. Do I have any rights or say so in the matter? I don't want to lose my son and I want to continue being involved in his life. She has not made any attempt to contact me about the Colorado move (I found out because she messaged my father via Facebook). I would appreciate any advice, thank you all and have a good day.
Are you on the birth certificate as the father?
Are there any court orders for child support/custody/parenting time?
How far away does she live from you right now?
How often do you see your child?

Tadeus

Are you on the birth certificate as the father?
Are there any court orders for child support/custody/parenting time?
How far away does she live from you right now?
How often do you see your child?
We haven't made any formalities with the court whatsoever. I am on the birth certificate as the father and he has my last name. For the time being, she lives 3 hours north east of me. Regarding your last question: I didn't mention that I she was pregnant when we were first dating. I took him in as raised as my own but, I am not on the birth certificate. However, after our split she still allows me to spend time with him. We made an agreement that we would exchange our sons every few weeks and get to spend time our appropriate time with them. I haven't seen my biological son for 2 weeks.

Proserpina

We haven't made any formalities with the court whatsoever. I am on the birth certificate as the father and he has my last name. For the time being, she lives 3 hours north east of me. Regarding your last question: I didn't mention that I she was pregnant when we were first dating. I took him in as raised as my own but, I am not on the birth certificate. However, after our split she still allows me to spend time with him. We made an agreement that we would exchange our sons every few weeks and get to spend time our appropriate time with them. I haven't seen my biological son for 2 weeks.
It's quite likely that Mom is going to cut off all visitation to the elder child if you choose to fight her move.

You need to high-tail it to an attorney as soon as possible.

Silverplum

The 'piece of paper' that so many eschew is what would make the breakups go more smoothly, be cheaper, and would work to ensure the security of the child/ren in that they aren't legally kept away from their fathers.

If people have kids, they should provide them with grownup-levels of security: you're likely going to break up anyway, might as well properly prepare.

LdiJ

That three hour distance on top of the lack of custody orders is not going to help you.

The judge cannot stop her from moving, the judge can only stop her from taking your mutual child with her. In order for the judge to do that the judge has to determine what is the least damaging to the child. To move with mom or move with you.

If mom does get permission to move you have a better than decent shot at getting the judge to order that she be responsible for transportation costs for your visitation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">