• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Ex is a so called recovering alcoholic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crazy

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
My soon to be ex has been in treatment 3 times for alcohol abuse, he has 2 drunk drivings also. after agreeing to everyother weekend and 2 days a week, he decided he wants joint physical custody. Having no money for a lawyer (his family is wealthy), I agreed as long as he still paid some child support to me. He keeps bringing up the fact that he should just have full custody of the kids. (he is upset that I am living with my boyfriend), anyway... he doesn't seem to think that his drinking is a problem, because he doesn't do it often.which is true, but he shouldn't at all, he has admited to being an alcoholic...could i use that against him in court?

N

njmom

Well!

I think you will have a real hard time trying to prove that he is an alcoholic in court, as you know once in the court room he will deny that he has that problem anymore. You had mentioned that he has two convictions of drunk and driving, however, if he has gone through all of his classes and treatments, you will have difficulty proving that he is an alcoholic. I don't even know if I would go there. I think you would be beating a dead horse if you brought that up in front of a judge. Why are you willing to give him joint physical custody? You had just mentioned that "child support" is a factor. If that is the case that is so wrong, because you had mentioned you have a problem with his alchoholism, yet if he still pays you a little in child support than it will be ok for him to have joint physical cusotdy. Im a little confused! Good Luck!

wenwas

omg you and i must have the same ex:D . but seriously just saying he's an alcoholic doesn't prove anything, been there done that. another thing question were you ever married to ex? in wisconsin most time you dont need a lawyer in most family court situations.his drunk driving charges can work in your favor if he wants to try to take to court for full custody because if he did it twice its shows he is at risk to do it again. also he would have to prove you are unfit in order to do it too,and not being happy about you living with a b/f doesn't fly in wisconsin courts.

C

crazy

alcoholic ex

My soon to be ex-husband is a good dad, or i wouldn't of agreed to physical joint custody. What I am worried about is that he seems to think because his family is wealthy, he could easily take me to court to get full custody. He has been drinking more often since we split, never with the boys around- that I know of, but he's not just social drinking either, he gets wasted. If he knows he is an alcoholic- and has been in treatment 3 times already and has 2 drunk drivings...I am worried it will only get worse. His whole family has a drinking problem and they are in the beer business...go figure that one. he seems to think that he can use the fact that i left him for another man against me in court if he has to.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would expect that if you throw mud at him, he'll throw mud back. Now, most of the time adultery doesn't make a big difference. But when you're dealing with a judge, you're also dealing with an individual human being. Who knows what his/her background is. Could be he grew up with an alcoholic Dad - your mud would work for you. Could be, he grew up in a home split when his Mom commited adultery - his mud will work against you. See how that works?

Sure you can use what you have. Just be aware that he can, as well.

N

njmom

suggestion.....

I have a three year old, and his daddy drinks, that does not make him a bad daddy. He is a very good daddy, pays his child support every two weeks and has done so for the past 3 years. He may drink a few beers after work everyday, but at least he provides for his son. So, like I said before I would not even go there, unless like momma said, he will surely sling some mud right back at ya!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">