• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My girlfreinds parents won't let us contact eachother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

erekerendo

I am 18 years old and live in Alaska, I have been dating a 16 year old girl (23 month age difference) for 7 months. Her parents never liked me from the start and I feel they only let us date because they assumed we'd break up after I graduated, but we didn't. Early on problems arose (that weren't my fault) which they used as excuses to keep me from seeing her.
One example is her little sister (14) wouldn't give me the phone so I could call my house and tell them where I was. She said "No, tell me the number". I said it was 911 because I was annoyed and I assumed she wasn't a complete idiot. She actually dialed something. I asked her 3 times if she actually did it and she said no each time, so I called my house. Within a minuit we get a call from the police, followed by a visit from a state trooper because of a 911 hang up. Of course I was to blame for this so I couldn't se m girlfriend for a month.
Events like this happened frequently. They also had people keep tabs on us and made us take her sister whenever we went anywhere. Then one day we were at the park and her sister let us do our own thing instead of watching us constantly like her parents wanted her to, so we went up and sat on a hill. I guess her parents ad an uncle trying to keep tabs on us and he saw a couple making out in a car that looked like mine (a pontiac grand am, the most common car on earth) and called her parents, who called her and asked to speak with her sister, who wasn't there. So they assumed we were doing stuff in my car and and her dad called me a couple of days later and said I was controlling and was looking for a serious relationship (isn't that the underlying point in dating someone?) was to break up with his daughter and never contact her or he'd file a restraining order. Instead I thought, screw you, and called my girlfreind and told her what he'd said.
I did my research and found that a temporary restraining order could be placed on me till a court date, but that the restraining order wouldn't be granted by a judge since I never did anything that might hurt her in any way, she still wants to be with me, and even if we were doing anything sexual she is at the age of consent in Alaska. So we continued communicating online
Well, her parents made her delete her online profiles, but that didn't really do anything. But I guess they had a program installed on her computer and were reading everything she ever typed. They also went through her computer and read our conversations... we'd been contemplating having sex.
So, long story short, they completely cut her off from the internet and phone, won't let us communicate or see eachother, and won't let her talk to anyone I know.
What I want to know is, is there a way around what they are doing? Would it be considered kidnapping if we just went on a date without telling them or asking their permission? Could she move out or get emancipated? What are our options?

Also, they put her in the mental ward in the hospital up untill right befor I started dating her, she had a mental breakdown. Could they use this against me? Or could I use it against them? I think they were the cause. She got much happier and social after we started dating.

And they dislike me because of my former religion, the age difference, and my personality... but I'm not dating them

Last edited:

Proserpina

Frankly you need to leave her alone completely.

Period.

Even if.

Because you CAN have a restraining order placed upon you simply because you keep contacting her against her parents wishes.

You can end up in SERIOUS trouble if you keep contacting her.

If she means that much to you, surely you can wait, right?

No, she can't move out.

No, she won't be emancipated.

While she is a minor, what Mom & Dad say is the rule.

Banned_Princess

Your option is to leave the girl alone until she is 18.

The parents can get an order of protection against you, I didnt read any of your post, but I assume you want to have sex, which might carry a charge, and listing on sex offender lists. Once they get an AOP you can be arrested for contacting her, taking her out, texting, IMming, chatting, messaging. on and on.

Leave the kid alone.

erekerendo

Please don't comment if you haven't read my post.

If you HAD read my post you would have known that I live in Alaska, and in Alaska if a girl is 16 (the age of consent) she can have sex with whoever she wants as long as they are not in a position of authority, so even if we HAD had sex and there was undoubtable proof, it wouldn't be reason enough to file a restraining order...Thank you Proserpina for actually reading it and commenting. However, I spoke with a police dispatcher on the subject and she told me a judge would not issue a restraining order under the circumstances. What they COULD do is have me barred from the property, but that is the extent to which the law supports thim in this matter.

What I wanted to know is wether or not It would be concidered kidnapping if I went anywhere with her without her parents knowlege.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Where did the police dispatcher get his/her law degree?

Her parents actually COULD get a restraining order against you for any number of issues. THEY hold the keys to when, where and with whom their child gets to go and do stuff.

Proserpina

If you HAD read my post you would have known that I live in Alaska, and in Alaska if a girl is 16 (the age of consent) she can have sex with whoever she wants as long as they are not in a position of authority, so even if we HAD had sex and there was undoubtable proof, it wouldn't be reason enough to file a restraining order...Thank you Proserpina for actually reading it and commenting. However, I spoke with a police dispatcher on the subject and she told me a judge would not issue a restraining order under the circumstances. What they COULD do is have me barred from the property, but that is the extent to which the law supports thim in this matter.

What I wanted to know is wether or not It would be concidered kidnapping if I went anywhere with her without her parents knowlege.

It's not kidnapping, no. But since your police dispatcher knows everything, why don't you go ahead and let them deal with it?

After all, we only know family law here. :rolleyes:

BELIEVE me, son, even in fair Alaska, her parents CAN obtain a restraining order. Until she turns 18, she is under THEIR complete and utter control.

Antigone*

So the next time you try to contact your girlfriend and her parents tell you to take a hike, tell the that your friend the police dispatcher said to pound sand and that you didn't have to.:rolleyes:

Antigone*

Sigh..I wish I could call AuntBunny and have her comment here....
That old geezer makes me laugh she'd probably say something like this: Oh deary, telling a teen-ager the facts of life is like giving a fish a bath.":D

Aunt Bunny would send the kid some soap and tell him to wash behind the ears, or something dorky like that.:D

01001001 01100001 01101101 01101110 01101111 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 (this is binary code for the ASCII encoding "I am not here")

CJane

So, you're encouraging this mentally/emotionally damaged/fragile CHILD to disobey her parents, disregard their authority, learn to sneak around, etc. You think that because she's old enough to drive, she's old enough to make decisions about sex and birth control, and live with the consequences when those decisions don't quite go as planned?

And you haven't done anything to harm her. You're just ... what? Trying to help her see the "truth" of her controlling and oh-so-terrible parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">