• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Niece Was Taken By Social Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desiree29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
My 1yr. old niece was taken from her mother today by social services. What can I do to get my niece out of the shelter?

desiree29

Its a long story but I will explain it. My brother and his girlfriend got into an argument the cops got involved a police report was made and my brother went to jail for domestic violence a restraining order against my brother was automatically put on to keep him away from his girlfriend and a temporary restraining order that expired within so many days was put on against him being around his daughter. He gets out of jail a week or so later and goes back home with his girlfriend he ends up getting caught being home with her and he goes back to jail for a month. At the same time they are getting evicted so his girlfriend and my niece come stay with my sister and I. My brother has court his girlfriend asks for peaceful contact and he gets out but social services started to get involved I guess from when the police report was made. Now I know that a social worker was looking for my brothers girlfriend wanting to ask questions but she didnt get back to them right away. I know she finally met up with a social worker at her moms house but as of what social services wanted i dont know. A month or so goes by and my brother goes back to jail for missing a court date because he pretty much wasnt doing what he was suppost to do by the courts. So his girlfriend and the baby have just been staying here with my sister and I. My brother calls from jail today saying a social worker just informed him that they want to take the baby from his girlfriend and when my sister goes home to check on his girlfriend its to late social services already took the baby and his girlfriend to jail. Why they took her to jail I dont know noone was home but her I do know that she dosent have a green card. My brother gets out of jail within a few days but even then he wont get the baby.

mistoffolees

There may be nothing you can do.

How long were the child and Mom living with you?

You could start by calling social services to see if they'll talk with you because the child was living at your house. They may not, but it's worth a try.

After that, you try to talk to your sister to find out what happened.

You might also ask social services about foster care for the child while your sister can't have her.

And it's probably worth talking to an attorney.

LdiJ

Its a long story but I will explain it. My brother and his girlfriend got into an argument the cops got involved a police report was made and my brother went to jail for domestic violence a restraining order against my brother was automatically put on to keep him away from his girlfriend and a temporary restraining order that expired within so many days was put on against him being around his daughter. He gets out of jail a week or so later and goes back home with his girlfriend he ends up getting caught being home with her and he goes back to jail for a month. At the same time they are getting evicted so his girlfriend and my niece come stay with my sister and I. My brother has court his girlfriend asks for peaceful contact and he gets out but social services started to get involved I guess from when the police report was made. Now I know that a social worker was looking for my brothers girlfriend wanting to ask questions but she didnt get back to them right away. I know she finally met up with a social worker at her moms house but as of what social services wanted i dont know. A month or so goes by and my brother goes back to jail for missing a court date because he pretty much wasnt doing what he was suppost to do by the courts. So his girlfriend and the baby have just been staying here with my sister and I. My brother calls from jail today saying a social worker just informed him that they want to take the baby from his girlfriend and when my sister goes home to check on his girlfriend its to late social services already took the baby and his girlfriend to jail. Why they took her to jail I dont know noone was home but her I do know that she dosent have a green card. My brother gets out of jail within a few days but even then he wont get the baby.
You can ask social services to allow you to be the kinship care provider for the child. They might place the child with you. You should at least try. You may have to jump through some hoops.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">