• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son is being used as a pawn!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stereomom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I was arrested 3 weeks ago for simple assault after pushing my husband during an arguement. I was also hit in the back of the head, and bruised on my arms, but I made the first move. I'm scheduled for a Sept. 14th trial. Since that date, my husband, and his family have kept my son from me with the only exception of a 'supervised' lunch meeting this past Tuesday, and only 3 'monitored' phone calls. I have never abused my son, and CPS has not been involved. Can my charges that are pending be held against me when it comes to a custody battle, and how can I see my son? What options do I have?

Thank you!

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I was arrested 3 weeks ago for simple assault after pushing my husband during an arguement. I was also hit in the back of the head, and bruised on my arms, but I made the first move. I'm scheduled for a Sept. 14th trial. Since that date, my husband, and his family have kept my son from me with the only exception of a 'supervised' lunch meeting this past Tuesday, and only 3 'monitored' phone calls. I have never abused my son, and CPS has not been involved. Can my charges that are pending be held against me when it comes to a custody battle, and how can I see my son? What options do I have?

Thank you!

not the charges pending per se, but a conviction won't help.

the fact that dad is allowing you to see your child at all, looks good for him

however, you need to file for divorce/custody/visitation/support. request for a temp visitation schedule pending a hearing.

where was the child when you attacked dad?

stereomom

We had both agreed that night that we were not going to press charges, but his brother insisted that reports be filed. I went to a hotel to stay that night after the brother took my son and refused to tell me where he was. The next day when I returned to the home, my son and husband were gone to FL, and the brother came into my house and basically waited with me until right before the officer arrived to arrest me. I spent the next 24 hours in jail. My son is very much a mommy's boy, and he misses his mom so much. I'm just so sorry that I reacted the way that I did, but you should all know the underlying circumstances that brought me to that point. I could fill a book on the emotional abuse that I have endured over the last 11 years. I am seeking help for my issues, but I'm not sure this marriage will survive this one. I need a good divorce attorney once this is all over, but right now I feel they have me in a corner, and I have to play by their rules so as to try and avoid a conviction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">